Engine Run - 82/750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Run - 82/750T

Since it's too cold to go out riding and I got home early from the gym, I decided to do an Engine Run and disturb the neighbors. (I'm kidding of course)

Anyway, I took these pictures and wanted an assessment from you experts out there. Is it advised to go on short trips even with my gaskets lookin' the way they do?

I'll get them replaced but I need to save for this job. Please provide your honest feedback...

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Is that seepage from a minute or two on a clean engine or is that months of not being cleaned?
    Either way I'd ride it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My Guess

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Is that seepage from a minute or two on a clean engine or is that months of not being cleaned?
      Either way I'd ride it.
      The PO hadn't ridden it since it's last inspection...his MD tags are from May/2012.

I rode all three days this past weekend Sat/Sun/Mon with Sat being my longest journey of 80 miles.

It seems to be leaking real slow because the oil level is still where its suppose to be. I appreciate the feedback tkent...I know the gaskets will need to be R2 but I don't wanna do it right away unless I have to.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Ride it. A little oil on the outside is of no concern unless you are a clean bike nut.

If you do get it really clean, then ride it just a little you can pinpoint the leaks. Maybe it's just a few easy fixes like the cam chain tensioner or something.

Comment

I agree with tkent (darn, that is difficult to type ).
          If it were pouring out, that would be a different story. But seeping, it will just get the engine dirty, nothing more.

Comment

Get an '83 the engine is black, you won't notice the discoloration.
            Hondas
            '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
            Suzuki
            '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
            Kaw
            '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
              get an '83 the engine is black, you won't notice the discoloration.
              + 1

Comment

Thanks you guys. I honestly thought I was gonna have to park my "T" and get this sorted. I'll inspect her every time...I do like a clean engine but if the gaskets can wait, I'll keep riding her.

Now to figure out why my right blinker isn't blinking. It worked during inspection/registration but today on my functional check, both right turn indicator lights would not blink. The left ones were ok. Is this a relay issue? Sounds like I need another thread in Electrics.

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I would ride it . Mine seeps alot more than that and has for 5 years and 20k miles. So I have to give the bike a bath now and again but you should do that anyway. Mine will weep/leak and burn 1/3-1/2 Qt every 800 miles as long as it is not dripping oil unless it really bothers you just ride it. Air cooled motors have so many temp changes you can change the gaskets but they only stay sealed for so long because of the temp changes. Unlike a liquid cooled bike that gets to one temp and stays there due to a thermostat and a radiator.
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    Thanks you guys. I honestly thought I was gonna have to park my "T" and get this sorted. I'll inspect her every time...I do like a clean engine but if the gaskets can wait, I'll keep riding her.

Now to figure out why my right blinker isn't blinking. It worked during inspection/registration but today on my functional check, both right turn indicator lights would not blink. The left ones were ok. Is this a relay issue? Sounds like I need another thread in Electrics.

Ed
                    Was the bike running when you tried them?
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      Unlike a liquid cooled bike that gets to one temp and stays there due to a thermostat and a radiator.
                      They leak too after a while.

Comment

air cooled engines expand and contract -a lot- your stuff looks acceptable -- and getting new gaskets to seal that well takes practice. I'd wait until it is a wet oily mess on my leg to fix. lol

Cometic complete gasket sets are getting more and more pricey.
                        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Ed
                          rev up the engine sometimes a little more voltage helps the old time blinker unit.
                          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            They leak too after a while.
                            Yes I'll agree but no where near as fast as an air cooled.
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Bike Running when signal turned on

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                              Was the bike running when you tried them?
                              Yes, I was doing the functional check when the engine was running.

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X