Gs 1100 left end crank breakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 1100 left end crank breakage

Where at on the left end do these usually break? Any pictures? Thanks for any input

Greetings and Salutations!!!

Hi Mr. 4cyl h2,

One of our engine gurus should be along later. But in the meantime let me greet you with my "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcome looking foward to being part of the site looks like a greate one!

Comment

Any drag racers out there can maybe help? Heard this was pretty common

Comment

Ray will know (rapidray). Not sure if this email still works. suzukiray@yahoo.com

Mine suffered from the left end nut coming loose and then the starter clutch chewed the taper all to hell.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The GS1100 cranks don't so much have a rep for "breaking" as they do for chewing up the taper on the small taper cranks ('80-'82) like with what happened to BonanzaDave (among others). For stock to moderately hopped up engines the stock crank is solid and usually not a problem. For higher power applications the large taper crank ('83) is better being that like it's nickname says, it has a less trouble prone large taper and the crank pins are welded. For high power race applications a couple of racers here on the board like Ray (RapidRay) or Terry (BlowerBike) could be more insightful as to what crank mods or aftermarket cranks are usable for a given application.

Dave, I remember seeing the pic of your galled crank taper and it was pretty gnarly. However, I don't remember what you did to fix it. Did you have to replace the crank? Have it welded and reground? Or was it able to be dressed and reassembled?

Comment

Thanks for both replays I have heard ray is knowledgable I'll try emailing him. This will be used for drags and self starting but will have the magnet removed

Comment

they break at the main bearing.
                when you go to remove the stator cover the rotor and all comes off with it..lol
                with the snout of the crank inside.
                i have seen this several times on stock motored street bikes...abused but still stock.
                most the time as mentioned they spin the rotor.
                the rotor taper gets larger and the crank gets smaller plus sometimes materiel is miss on both...like from a blow torch.
                fill the bad spots and the complete taper with red locktite and impact it's bag off and let sit for 24 hours.
                and pray or sell it...hehe
                on a drag only bike you get away with the damage after removing the magnet.
                and always!!!ALWAYS!!!
                pull the clutch in before closing the throttle...letting these back down from high RPM's does the damage in the 1st place.

hell i'm bored most the time..
                any question pertaining to 1100/1150 16v.
                i'm always open to calls...information is free.
                between cincy and dayton ohio if i can be of assistance in person pertaining to the models i have mentioned.
                terry
                Last edited by blowerbike; 03-31-2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Your reply is much appreciated. I do have another? I'm doing some valve work on a dragbike I'm building and wondering if back cutting the valves is much advantage. And if so how much to cut them.

Comment

Originally posted by Homie View Post
                    Did you have to replace the crank? Have it welded and reground? Or was it able to be dressed and reassembled?
                    I used a coarse lapping compound to level out the high spots and true the damaged surfaces as best I could. Back and forth with the starter clutch a 1000 times. Cleaned it all up with some solvent, applied some permanent lock tite, hit it with the big 1/2 impact. So far so good.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Did you have a problem with the taper going on to far ( because of the wear) and loosing clearance at the starter gear

Comment

Originally posted by 4cyl h2 View Post
                        Did you have a problem with the taper going on to far ( because of the wear) and loosing clearance at the starter gear
                        sometimes when it's bad..
                        you impact it on and then try to start it and the starter clutch stays engaged.
                        you then have direct drive and blow your starter a part..lol
                        fun fun

Comment

I hope he doesn't scare easy... blown starter and all...
                          Curt
                          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            most the time as mentioned they spin the rotor. the rotor taper gets larger and the crank gets smaller plus sometimes materiel is miss on both...like from a blow torch.
                            fill the bad spots and the complete taper with red locktite and impact it's bag off and let sit for 24 hours. and pray or sell it...hehe
                            terry
                            I've been thinking about this. I don't have to do anything with the rotor yet, but when the time comes that I do. Ok, so the specified torque value on the nut is something like 120 ft/lbs. My air impact wrench is rated at 580 ft/lbs @ 90 psi. Sounds like I could easily over-torque it if I'm not careful. If I "impact it's bag off" do you think it's possible to strip the threads, break the nut, or the worse case senario - break the crank snout off? Has any of this kind of stuff ever happened to anyone? Sometimes I wonder why didn't Suzuki didn't just machine the crank and rotor for a simple woodruff key?

Comment

don't think to hard tom.
                              keys didn't work on kawi's.
                              also if one is bigger and the other is now smaller and you do not tight the f*ck out of it....
                              guess what??
                              it will just spin off.
                              we are talking about a bad design and parts that are now damaged.
                              an impact is not going to push the rotor any farther that it is meant to go no matter how powerful it is.
                              your impact is also not going to break anything we are speaking of.
                              you throw the torque specs out the door on big stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X