No announcement yet.

Slipper clutch conversion project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought, you may be able to introduce "compensating distortion"...

Run the gear between centers and determine where and in which direction the distortion is. A weld bead will pull the gear in the direction of the bead. IE a line of bead on one side of the gear will when cool, pull the gear to that side.

Might be worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      Just a thought, you may be able to introduce "compensating distortion"...

Run the gear between centers and determine where and in which direction the distortion is. A weld bead will pull the gear in the direction of the bead. IE a line of bead on one side of the gear will when cool, pull the gear to that side.

Might be worth a try.

Wouldn't that affect balance? Or would it be neglegible . Would you grind the weld off after the part shifted?
      Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
      1979 GS850GN
      sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
      1975-2008

Comment

I'd suspect it would be worth balancing the whole clutch drum/primary gear assembly. There's been so much done to it who knows how far out it is....

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          I'd suspect it would be worth balancing the whole clutch drum/primary gear assembly. There's been so much done to it who knows how far out it is....
          How is that done and who would I take it to?

Comment

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
            How is that done and who would I take it to?
            Check your local yellow pages for automotive engine balancers. I live close to a small city and there are three engine reconditioners here who can balance things like cranks and car driveshafts...NY state I'd imagine there must be someone.

Comment

I apologize for the latency in my response, the past few months I have moved to NE Ohio, Started at a new job and started on the quickshift controller to govern ignition dead times. So Gents I present you with this fine piece,

Comment

Has it ever been run in the bike (it looks beautiful)?

Because my bike severely needs one, and when my mechanic tells me, "it can't be done," I want to show him this thread.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

My mechanic didn't say it can't be done, but asked if anyone was selling the setup for my bike. So...

1. Does it work?

2. Is it for sale?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    My mechanic didn't say it can't be done, but asked if anyone was selling the setup for my bike. So...

1. Does it work?

2. Is it for sale?
                    My apologies for the year late response, I had to make a new account. The bike has not been ridden on the road yet, and the clutch is sitting in a mockup engine, mechanically it appears to be functional however I still need to have a small amount of machining done. Also we had to extend the clutch cover to get it to fit. I have a lot going on at the moment and have been derailed from this project by several other bikes that have come into my possession. However those projects seem to be wrapping up and the GS will once again take center stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob.M View Post
                      My apologies for the year late response...
                      What's 11 months between friends?

Besides, I ride (and walk) a little slower these days. How slow? I'm looking at Harley Davidsons!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob.M View Post
                        My apologies for the year late response, I had to make a new account. The bike has not been ridden on the road yet, and the clutch is sitting in a mockup engine, mechanically it appears to be functional however I still need to have a small amount of machining done. Also we had to extend the clutch cover to get it to fit. I have a lot going on at the moment and have been derailed from this project by several other bikes that have come into my possession. However those projects seem to be wrapping up and the GS will once again take center stage.
                        You might not need to extend the stock cover. I have several RBD clutch covers that are made for GS 1100s & 1150s, for use with a lock up clutch. They are deeper & allow you to eliminate the cover spacer a lot of people use. PM me your cell # & I can send you pictures of them.
                        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          What's 11 months between friends?

Besides, I ride (and walk) a little slower these days. How slow? I'm looking at Harley Davidsons!
                          Ha! Well hopefully we can get moving on this again.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            You might not need to extend the stock cover. I have several RBD clutch covers that are made for GS 1100s & 1150s, for use with a lock up clutch. They are deeper & allow you to eliminate the cover spacer a lot of people use. PM me your cell # & I can send you pictures of them.
                            Ray.
                            I wish I would have known that before we built the extended cover. The covers for the GS 1100s wont fit the GS550 will it? the crankcase for this engine is from a GS550.

Comment

I am about to embark on a very similar project, GSXR750K6 slipper clutch into a GS1000. I have both clutches at hand and am currently dismantling the GSXR clutch to investigate the potential possibilities.
                              Wish me luck.
                              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Man this thread is worse that going to a strip club when you haven't gotten any in a while, like you've been married for 20 years...

Three people that say they're working on a slipper clutch including the OP, yet no completed projects, or formal quits or anything... so I'm guessing no one actually did it and so to this point no one can.
                                I guess I'll have to do it then!
                                1979 GS850 G
                                1979 GS1000E Resto moded
                                1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

The most effective means of preventing tyranny is to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X