Gs850GLD cutting out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850GLD cutting out.

I have an 83 GS850GLD. Since I have had her out this year, after about 30 min of any kind of riding she dies at a stop. Will stay running if you throttle her. Turning up the idle doesn't help any, when it gets to this point. I am clueless. Problem only arose this season. Didnt do this last year.

Hey, I had a F9 Bighorn also- cdi, surface gap plug- I tortured it and finally lost 2nd gear! Anyways, sounds like carb cleaning might be calling on your 850- turning up idle a bit still works off the idle circuit whereas throttling it lets the main participate. It's worth trying a good dose of seafoam or equivalent- you might get lucky for $10. Did you use fuel stabilzer before this long winter?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes i used stabilizer, but then i ended up riding it to my new location as i moved, i put more gas in it before i left for the trip. But i dont recall adding more stabilizer before parking her again. I will trying cleaning the carbs tomorrow. As i am stuck at home right now with no vehicle. I dont think people would look to kindly on my riding with my 3 year old..and that would just be stupid on my part. Im open to any other suggestions. Thanks

Comment

Depending on ethanol level of that gas you added during your move (and how long it sat in carbs) could be at least part of your problem.
        Yeah, no riding with 3 yearolds.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Rough idle as it warms up is supposed to mean too rich on the pilot circuit.
          Try turning in the mixture screws 1/4 and open the idle throttle a little bit?

Comment

Try running some SeaFoam thru the car to clean it. As for quitting ? Check the tank vent

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
              Rough idle as it warms up is supposed to mean too rich on the pilot circuit.
              Try turning in the mixture screws 1/4 and open the idle throttle a little bit?
              I never said there was a rough idle, especially at warm up, the problem arises after a period of riding. If i let the bike sit for awhile the problem goes away but just to reappear awhile later

Comment

Hi,

Make sure your air intake system is tight, no leaks. Same for the air filter, clean and very lightly oiled. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well i have been out riding all day. I oiled my filter and ran sea foam through the tank. Took me awhile to get bike back on the road as i had to wait for a clutch cable. I think that may also have played a culprit in my stalling. I noticed the day it snapped that it was not fully disengaging the clutch causing the motor to die. Anyway with all said and done bike is running like she should again. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Clutch cable, huh?

Another item to add to the list for things to check: if it idles fine in neutral but dies in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Glad you figured it out.

Comment

Another Seafoam success story- sure beats carb removal/cleaning fun!
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                      X