Quick valve adjustment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick valve adjustment question

Doing valve adjustments for the first time, got my spreadsheet from Steve (thanks Steve!), got everything apart and measured all shims + clearances. 4 of them are tight, and I am thankfully able to swap 3, only needing to order 1 size that I don't have.

My question is, can you turn the engine without a shim in place? I feel like I've read that you should not. If not, then how does one go about swapping between cylinders if they cannot both be in the right position at the same time?

Not advisable to turn it without the shim...

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................ do not turn the engine over with a shim missing. if you have to obtain one new one to complete the clearance setting then wait until you get it, so you have a spare to use incase you find yourself with an empty bucket and need to turn it over.

it has been known to slot a coin in the bucket to use as a shim substitute if absolutely necessary. i am not sure what coin you would use in USA money but make sure it is a fairly good fit and sits flush or higher with the bucket rim on the top
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Nope don't turn engine with a shim missing- no sense chipping bucket or scoring camlobe. Maybe try a quarter as skinny shim and watch carefully as you turn crank. you know about member ghostgs1 and the shim club?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That's what I thought. And yeah I got ahold of ghostgs1 regarding the shim club, but I already ended up ordering some replacements from z1. I can't really trade until I have some inventory, and I need the extras in order to swap the 3 swappable ones around.

Guess I'm waiting on shims now. Thanks all.

Comment

I've read quarters and those small gold dollars coins will do the job. If you want to do it on the cheap, use quarters, or dollars for a more expensive experience.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Seems like you'd be gambling with a lot more than $.25

Comment

Originally posted by mrl1000l View Post
                Seems like you'd be gambling with a lot more than $.25
                $2.00 if you use quarters, $8.00 for dollars.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Have you personally done this?

Comment

Working...
                  X