Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs550 jumping out of 2nd gear

Hi there gurus.

I am in the middle of rebuilding an 81 gs550e, the engine has 44k miles on the clock. The reason the PO parked it up and let it sit for 4 years was because apparently the thing would jump out of 2nd gear when the revs picked up.

Anyone have any ideas on why this could be happening?

Also, I when I removed the sump, it was a bit tarry in there and something made of plastic had found its way through the gearbox and was literally minced beyond recognition. Here is a pic of what I recovered.

Finally, the strainer on the pickup looks quite clogged. I want to open it up and clean it out but holy cow those little screws are in there tight, some serious locking fluid used there! It might take a while to get those suckers out.

Other than that, I can't see any other marks or issues on the gears themselves.

I am open to all theories and suggestions.

Cheers

2nd gear problems are common on abused bikes. Things to check would be the shift drum, shift forks, the gears, and the dogs, they all can get messed up and it only takes one to get the problem started.

Looking at your findings, it looks like you may have more tear-down and inspection work on your plate.

Cheers indeed and best of luck.

Comment

Is that a match?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Indeed it is, but I did not find it in the sump. It is just there for scale

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
          2nd gear problems are common on abused bikes. Things to check would be the shift drum, shift forks, the gears, and the dogs, they all can get messed up and it only takes one to get the problem started.

Looking at your findings, it looks like you may have more tear-down and inspection work on your plate.

Cheers indeed and best of luck.
          Thanks, I bought a complete spare engine so I will have duplicates of all parts and will be working up to it eventually. Also, I have never taken a 4stroke engine apart before so I thought a spare would be good to practice on.

Any chance it could be a clutch issue rather than the box?

Comment

jumping out of gear

Hi, i would think the problem will be worn dogs on on the gears. Turn your spare engine upside down and split the main case, after removing the clutch etc and the gear cluster lifts out fairly easy. I used 3 gear sets and picked out the best parts to build one for my sons 1978 550, and its ok . Good luck and have fun .
            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Thanks GS nut, that was my original suspicion. I am going to keep watching engines on eBay and start buying cheep ones in my local area so that I have a few options to choose from, when it comes to spares, I reckon the more the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                Hi, i would think the problem will be worn dogs on on the gears. Turn your spare engine upside down and split the main case, after removing the clutch etc and the gear cluster lifts out fairly easy. I used 3 gear sets and picked out the best parts to build one for my sons 1978 550, and its ok . Good luck and have fun .
                I would also bet worn engagement dogs.

If the rest of the engine is good, you might be better off having the dogs undercut. You're transmission will never shift better.

I think someone on the Busa forum had a link for somebody much cheaper than that. Might be able to find it if you're interested.

Comment

Thanks very much, I will have to look for a South London supplier though. I am bidding on 2 further engines on EBay, so that will give me a total of 4 gearboxes to choose from! With a little luck that will be enough.

Overkill I know, but they are for the most part dirt cheap, and I think one has a kick start, so hopefully I can convert my existing engine. A bit ponsy I know, but I haven't had a kicker since I was a teenager and this whole project is about nostalgia anyway.

here is my rebuild thread.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=204366.

Comment

Hadn't caught that you were in London.

Loved the kick starter on my GS550E. I am totally with you and it would be perfect on your bike, given where you are taking your build.

Us old guys really miss kick starters.

Comment

Originally posted by JvZ View Post
                      I want to open it up and clean it out but holy cow those little screws are in there tight, some serious locking fluid used there! It might take a while to get those suckers out.
                      a butane torch on the screws for a few seconds will soften up that loktite and make removal much easier!!

Comment

Thanks Tom, I was a little worried that there might be a rubber seal behind the sieve. Anyway, I have a brute of a neighbour who beat the hell out of them with an impact driver. Job done!

Comment

AJ, I picked up a spare engine yesterday, all the gear is there, less the kick start lever. Anyone know how difficult it is to convert from electric only to kick?

Comment

Working...
                          X