Starting a build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a build thread

Well I might as well start a build thread on this engine to get tips and opinions along my way. I'll sum up my previous threads and why I have came to this point. When I adjusted my valve clearances I lost a cam end plug, I just chalked it up to oh I probably dropped it and kicked it under something. WRONG! Lesson learned lol, I found it after the bike jumped time lodged in the sprocket on the crankshaft that turns the cam chain. Well of course now I have bent valves. So I proceed to disassemble the head and find that all of my valves are out of tolerance With the raidial runout and the stems being wore down to far. So I figure ok I'll buy a used head off ebay to get running and send mine out to get ported later. Well when I got home and started tinkering around I noticed that there is a HUGE gouge in cylinder #4 (thankfully the piston is fine). The cylinders are already at 75mm so no reboring them unless I get a big bore kit which I cant find but will keep looking. The Wiseco pistons and rings only have about 7000 miles on them so what I am thinking about doing is buying a stock cylinder block off of ebay and boring it to 75mm at work (I'm a machinist). Is this a bad idea to use the pistons that I have? I have pics I will upload but they look fine to me. Also I cant seem to find valves my exhaust measures 23mm and intake measures 27mm. All the valves I see are oversized. One thing I'm unsure of is boring them. Do I bore them exactly to size and use a bottle brush hone? Thanks alot guys and hopefully I'll be riding again soon!

Excuse the mess in the garage lol I had an oil spill and got kitty litter happy.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Well I've got a used cylinder block and a used head on the way. I've decided to bore my own cylinders at work and I'm gonna run the used head until I get mine ported and polished.

Comment

Ok so I've let this thread sit dormant because I have been waiting for parts yada yada. When I got the used block and head from ebay they were trashed and I ended up waiting a month before getting the ok from PayPal to send it back. Still waqiting on the cash because he hasn't recieved it yet but now that I know I'm getting my $ back I got more parts. I'll post some pics of what the "excellent condition" parts looked like when I got them which looked nothing like the pictures in the ad.

Comment

Checking my end gaps. (That is not my piston that I'm using it is another 75mm I had.)Filing my rings

Comment

Here's where I'm at now. I'm going to clean the rest of the carbon off of the pistons it was just harder doing it not in the cylinders and I didn't want to take the pistons off the rods. I ended up pushing the rings in with my hand and a flat head screwdriver. I tried using hose clamps and pvc to compress the rings but in the end the old fashioned way worked best. I'm using copper gaskets not the fiber junk whoever built it last used. Hopefully the head will be in in a day or 2 and I can get her timed and broken in!
            Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Bummer about that eBay deal. I guess the worst part about it would be all the wasted time. Hope you have it running soon!
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X