1980 GS550E Has a strange knock just abouve idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550E Has a strange knock just abouve idle

I have resurrected a 1980 GS 550 -E. It runs absolutely great BUT it has started making a knocking sound just above idle up to about 2000 rpm. At higher RPMs or when you get on it a little it does not do it, or at least that you can hear. I almost think it could be the cam chain slapping?? Anybody heard of this before. It has 19469. miles on it. Also before I got it it had not been run since 1990 when the previous owner died. I've done a lot to whip'er intpo shape so I am hoping this is not a major thing!!

could be cam walk? have you rebuilt the cam chain tensioner yet?Also, it hasn't run in 23 years, was it stored with oil in the cylinders?Rusty cylinder walls created wear causing out of round piston making premature wear making a piston slap? so many variables.
    Old 8 valve bike make funny noises I think. maybe post a video?

Comment

The cylinders were filled with oil before it went into storage. Is it possible that the tensioner is stuck? The noise comes from the top of the engine and you can hear it through the gas tank. What's cam walk? I will get my stethoscope out and try to pin point exactly where i it's coming from.

Comment

update

I used my stethoscope and found the noise is coming from the camshaft on the intake side AND the left side to be exact ( as viewed sitting on the bike ) I started it up this morning and went for a ride and it never made the noise once.I would have to say after reading all the information I think it is " cam walk " I read the solutions for this and have been thinking about fixing it

Comment

Working...
        X