Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine isn't turning with starter

1979 GS1000L

Aaarg! Just when I thought I was done and ready to give away unused parts as my show of appreciation for the forum (gaskets, value stem seals, etc.), now the engine is not turning over with the starter and starter clutch, I think. Rode it yesterday with no issues. Parked it and restarted during the ride with no issues. Parked it when home and flipped it onto center stand. Tried to start it today and all that happens is the starter and gears attached to start spin, but not the engine.

The video explains it better than I can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvv3...ature=youtu.be

Please help. Thank you all again in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM.

looks to me there is more spinning than just the starter...

Comment

the starter and flywheel is spinning but the bolt on the end of the crank is not. soooooooo i guess the bolt has worked loose so the flywheel,starter clutch is just spinning on the crank. torque that bolt up......
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Bingo. Thank you. Snugged and rotating.

Last time I put that bolt in I thoroughly cleaned it and used red locktite. Frustrating to the point where I am concerned its going to happen far from home.

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        the starter and flywheel is spinning but the bolt on the end of the crank is not. soooooooo i guess the bolt has worked loose so the flywheel,starter clutch is just spinning on the crank. torque that bolt up......

Comment

You need to use red Loctite but you also need to air impact that nut on to hammer it tight. Ray.

Comment

Yes...What Ray said. Air impact is the best way to get it good and thight to the crank. Dont overdue it, but give it a few good clacking spurts once it gets tight...Blaht..Blaht and call it good.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I did that

75ft pounds is what the torque spec. is on that bolt. Mine never came loose again.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
              Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone very much.

Both times I used air gun + a 3 ft breaker bar over socket handle. Just a tempermental area on my bike.

Thank god for Z1's bolt kit considering how many times I am removing side covers. definitely worth the investment.

Comment

Working...
                X