1983 GS 1100 clutch wave washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 1100 clutch wave washer

any one know what happens if the clutch wave washer is in backwards.
    My motor is new. all the clutch parts are factory new parts and all clutch parts were replaced at the same time the clutch basket is a early Vance & Hines Super hub I think it was called rebuilt by APE with there billiet basket.
    she slips after 5 grand I think what I might have done is put the wave washer in back word's that looks like there's less pressure on the plates hence the slippage.
    any one agree.

1983 Suzuki Katana 1100/1160
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Mk111
    1975 Laverda 1000 3C

Take it apart & fix it. Simple as that. If it still slips you need EBC springs too. Ray.

Comment

Hello Ray
      Hope all is well still getting the bugs out when I have the time.
      Do you think if the wave washer is in backwards it can make it slip.

Comment

I don't think being in backwards should cause any slippage since it is still applying the same amount if pressure either way. It may cause some wear inside the inner hub where it sits on or off the seat depending on the style (early narrow) it would be pressing against aluminum (the hub) instead of steel (the seat).The late style is wider and probally would not matter.If you are still running the helical cut gear I would be more concerned with the side to side thrust clearance and if it needs shimming or not and installing a hardened nut.Sounds more like you need some springs if you have slippage though. I have had good luck with installing the 3 of the red HD springs and 3 stock springs. Stopped the slippage and wasn't too hard to pull in on the clutch lever.
        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
        X