Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

My friend bought a 1982 GS1100L a few weeks back. In the last few days, he has noticed a sporadic oil leak and cannot locate where it is coming from. He said it looks to be dripping down the inside of the kickstand. He's cleaned the oil pan and checked the bolts for tightness and to see if he can see where the oil is coming from. So far no joy.

This morning, it was "fairly" cool here (55F) when he rode to work. The bike sat at work all day and no drips under it. This afternoon, it was almost 90 when he rode home. He went out to check it a couple hours after he got home and there was a small puddle under the bike and the inside of the kickstand was wet.

He's pretty good mechanically and is stumped on where the oil is coming from.

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
    My friend bought a 1982 GS1100L a few weeks back. In the last few days, he has noticed a sporadic oil leak and cannot locate where it is coming from. He said it looks to be dripping down the inside of the kickstand. He's cleaned the oil pan and checked the bolts for tightness and to see if he can see where the oil is coming from. So far no joy.

This morning, it was "fairly" cool here (55F) when he rode to work. The bike sat at work all day and no drips under it. This afternoon, it was almost 90 when he rode home. He went out to check it a couple hours after he got home and there was a small puddle under the bike and the inside of the kickstand was wet.

He's pretty good mechanically and is stumped on where the oil is coming from.
    The most likely spot to leak is the left, front half moon rubber at the valve cover gasket.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      The most likely spot to leak is the left, front half moon rubber at the valve cover gasket.
      I'll pass that along to him. Thanks

Comment

It could be the oil over flow which is in that same area

Comment

Could be the mystery hole ? Drains the starter cavity under the motor by the kickstand-- starter O ring is a likely culprit

Comment

Earl put your readers on, the leak is down by the kickstand.
            Eric says look at the shifter shaft oil seal part 31 and might as well get part 38 and replace that oring while your there. boulevardsuzuki.com can hook you up. Deland Motorsports for us locals.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              Eric says look at the shifter shaft oil seal part 31 and might as well get part 38 and replace that oring while your there. boulevardsuzuki.com can hook you up. Deland Motorsports for us locals.
              http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2159

Eric who??????
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Have him check the Cam Chain Tensioner if it's not any of the other sources listed.
                I had a leak on my GS1150 (OK not like that) and I finally traced it to the cam chain tensioner, oil was running down the starter motor cover and all down by the genertor cover and side stand area.
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've sent them on to him and he's going to do some troubleshooting when he gets out of work. He says thank you and I am trying to get him to join .

Comment

I didn't invent this process, but endorse it.

Clean engine with Gunk engine spray cleaner or similar.

Dry engine (without running). Leaf blower works well.

Douse engine with white foot powder spray.

Start engine and watch closely for the leak source. The oil will show up clearly against the white powder. Look closely at the various possible leak sources suggested in this thread.

Finding leaks is very simple. You just need to work though a logical path.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      I didn't invent this process, but endorse it.

Clean engine with Gunk engine spray cleaner or similar.

Dry engine (without running). Leaf blower works well.

Douse engine with white foot powder spray.

Start engine and watch closely for the leak source. The oil will show up clearly against the white powder. Look closely at the various possible leak sources suggested in this thread.

Finding leaks is very simple. You just need to work though a logical path.
                      That's genius. My engine isn't leaking but I may try that just for curiosity sake.

Comment

And it also helps for itchy smelly engines as well.

Comment

Reminds me of a joke

Kind of like rolling her in flour to find the wet spot, but different.
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                            http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2159
                            I know it is down by the kickstand. You stop the bike and put it on the sidestand. After sitting, the oil runs down, contacts the frame, runs rearward and then runs down the side stand. Been there, done that. It is a fact. The shift shaft oil seal will not run down the side stand. The oil will exit straight down under the sprocket location and never touch the side stand. Been there done that one too.
                            Last edited by earlfor; 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

My vote would be the mystery hole, I'm guessing if he checks he'll find the oil level in the secondary drive will be well above the full mark.

But great idea to roll her in flower and look for the wet spot first..

Comment

Working...
                              X