Swapping an 1100G into my '82 850GL Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping an 1100G into my '82 850GL Questions

I've had my 82 gs850 since February and the bike runs great, no issues or anything, but I'm starting to get the itch for more power / bigger bike. I really do love this bike though and I've put a fair amount of time into painting it and cleaning it up. So instead of ditching the bike I've been thinking about swapping in an 1100 motor.

From what I've been able to find on this site, it seems that all I need is the motor, carbs, and possibly exhaust since my stock 850 exhaust may not work? I just wanted to hear from anybody that has done this swap, if there is anything I'm missing or any modifications I may have to do to make this work. My bike is a shaftie so as long as the 1100 is shaft drive is there anything else I need to look for?

Sorry if this information is readily available, I did search here and google. Thanks

~Scott

Lose the L, ride the 1100G.
    Win win solution.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So you think the swap isn't worthwhile, I should just look for a bigger bike?

Comment

Why not rebuild it and just overbore???
        Put the 1100 carbs on it-

Comment

I dunno how much the parts/machine work would cost, i've seen full motors going for about $500 shipped

Comment

Originally posted by xezerax View Post
            No, I think any Ladie's model GS isn't worthwhile, ride the other one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I might have to change my paint scheme from black to pink then.

Comment

Is that 500$ for a rebuilt or just a motor? It would'nt be more than a 100$ to rebore your jugs- then all you need is pistons and rings. Probably half of the 500$ and you wouldn't have any headaches of new exhaust( breaking bolts) etc. Just my thoughts. Do your valves and everything else while in there- base gasket and such.
                Well you would still have to pull of the exhaust( my error)- and risk a bolt but I'd say worth it.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2013, 02:36 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                  Is that 500$ for a rebuilt or just a motor? It would'nt be more than a 100$ to rebore your jugs- then all you need is pistons and rings. Probably half of the 500$ and you wouldn't have any headaches of new exhaust( breaking bolts) etc. Just my thoughts. Do your valves and everything else while in there- base gasket and such.
                  That would be for just the motor, I'd still have to buy the carbs and exhaust.

Comment

You'll have to excuse Tom he has a hatred with L's. Rumor has it, he was tormented by an all ladies biker gang that lived near him when he was young and they all rode L model Zooks. He's never been the same since.

I've had my 82 gs850 since February and the bike runs great, no issues or anything, but I'm starting to get the itch for more power / bigger bike. I really do love this bike though and I've put a fair amount of time into painting it and cleaning it up. So instead of ditching the bike I've been thinking about swapping in an 1100 motor.

From what I've been able to find on this site, it seems that all I need is the motor, carbs, and possibly exhaust since my stock 850 exhaust may not work? I just wanted to hear from anybody that has done this swap, if there is anything I'm missing or any modifications I may have to do to make this work. My bike is a shaftie so as long as the 1100 is shaft drive is there anything else I need to look for?

Sorry if this information is readily available, I did search here and google. Thanks

~Scott
                    Your title mentions 1100G and not 1100GL as if you already have a bike to pull the engine from or that's just what you would get one from? They made a 1100GL so it should be the same frame as your 850GL, as is the standard G frames.

I used my 1000G engine in an 850G frame, wanting to use it's title and will be putting an 1100 in it sometime in the future. I should have no problem, but mine is a standard G. So there should be no problem with an engine swap from either model, all the shaft engines(850, 1000, and 1100)should have the same mounting points.

I think 1000 and the 1100 use the same exhaust per model, but the exhaust from a G to an L might need a self made bracket to work since L models exhaust mufflers are shorter than the standards. Don't quote me on that, as I have never had the oppertunity to compare a standard and L side by side. I have a 850 and a 1000G exhaust pipes and checked them, they have the same diameter pipes, but the larger engines use bigger clamps and two half spacers fo fill the gap for the larger exhaust port. The header bolt spacing is also larger or wider as is were, for the 1000 and 1100 than the 850.

The 850 also uses 32 cv carbs and the larger engines use 34s.

Compare the parts fiches:
                    '80-81 GL850 http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1980&fveh=2143

'80-81 GL1000 http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1980&fveh=2152

'82-83 GL1100 http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2159
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

If you do the engine swap (and it should be a relatively easy swap), you will also need to have the driveshaft from the 1100. The flange on the end of the shaft is a different size and will not mate up with the new engine.

If you do the engine swap, you can still use your 850 exhaust if you slot the mounting holes in the mounting collars. The bolts on the 1100 engine are just a bit farther apart than they are on the 850.

Yes, the 1100 uses larger carbs, but I don't think the 32s will strangle the engine all that much for street use. In fact, might actually enhance low-end response.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome thanks for all the info

Comment

Ok parts are one the way, motor, drive shaft, and carbs... I'll try to modify my exhaust so I don't have to buy an new one. I'll update this once I get some progress going.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Yeah, what he just said....
                            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Check my rides, I ride em all and the L is a good ride if you know how.
                              V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment