Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good point. will do.

Comment

What about chain alignment? Does the bike have a steel chain guard?
      I had a chain adjuster nut back off one time.
      It didn't cause a noise per se, but caused some scary handling.
      A loose starter motor cover makes an annoying sound.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
        What about chain alignment? Does the bike have a steel chain guard?
        I had a chain adjuster nut back off one time.
        It didn't cause a noise per se, but caused some scary handling.
        A loose starter motor cover makes an annoying sound.
        chain alignment is good. it has a plastic guard. everything is tight. nothing is missing.

Comment

New chain and sprockets should be in tomorrow. So hopefully ill have them on tomorrow night.

Comment

Well I got the new chain and sprockets on. Noise is still there. I also noticed a clunking noise while in gear followed by a vibration and movement of the bike while on the center stand. Like something was loose and hitting something. Noise still sounds like its coming from behind the sprocket cover. No signs of anything hitting externally. Any more ideas? Looks like I'm doomed to split the case.

Comment

Finally got around to splitting the case and found the problem. Their were some deep gouges on the bearing material of the second driven gear directly behind the sprocket. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Comment

So "basically" what Eric was saying long ago..but didn't word his response just perfectly....right????
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

here is the bushing inside the gear. if you notice the bright shiny line on the inside. the bushing/bearing material is completely stripped away. Definitely gonna check for a blockage in the oil passage. all the other gears are fine. the roller bearing right next to it is fine. just that gear. sorry for the poor quality of the picture. phone wouldn't cooperate.

Comment

Wow that blows
                    at least you now know you can tear down and rebuild an engine.

Comment

i've rebuilt plenty of car and truck engines before just never torn this deep into a bike engine that has the crank and transmission in the same case before.

Comment

Working...
                      X