Clutch Release 78 GS750EC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Release 78 GS750EC

Hi, I made a big mistake and pulled apart the clutch release on my 78 GS750. For reference http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_p...FQPVbgodJlCllw
    1. There's a slimy/dirty paste all over the ball-guides and ball-release maybe it was once grease? When I put this back together do I apply grease or leave it clean?
    2. The push-rod is straight but moves back and forth and spins with no resistance (bike hasn't been run in two years+). Something tells me this shouldn't happen?
    3. Assuming I don't put any grease/oil on where the push-rod fits into the ball guide as there has to be grip between these surfaces. Should I apply anything to these surfaces?
    Thankyou for any help with this.
    Ben.

Yes..grease it..how it works is the balls roll out of the dimples and spread the 2 halves...one half will them press in on the push rod..which in turn pushes out on the pressure plate and disengages the clutch plates.

As for the push rod..it will turn and pull out...thats normal. Just wiggle it around real good to be sure the end at the clutch seats in the recess on the back of the release bearing shaft.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
    X