Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing valve noise - need diagnosis

Hey guys,

Last week I finished the valve adjustments on my '82 GS550L and put her all back together. All 8 valves are within spec, none are wide. When I started it back up I get some valve noise that slowly increases as the engine gets warmer. Have you guys seen this before?

I took it all apart yesterday and checked clearances...same measurements...same noise. Any thoughts? I've uploaded a video so you can hear...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Also....it seems to be coming from either 3 or 4. 1 and 2 are much quieter

Comment

"valve noise that slowly increases as the engine gets warmer"

Hmm, I've often wondered if valve clearance gets smaller as engine warms up. I tend to run mine on high side or even higher but my hearing is poor so who knows.
      Stupid questions - we are talking about .001 to .003 INCH clearance, right?
      So were all valve clearances in tolerance and no shim changes needed?

My computer is old and dislikes youtube
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

Forgive me for asking. Did you perform the measurements properly? Set the position on the outside cam lobe and measure both clearances on that side. If you point each cam lobe up before measuring under it you will get inaccurate measurements. Measurement spec is between .03 and .08 mm. I usually run mine on the loose side. In fact, right now all my clearances are .10mm and it sounds like a sewing machine. "A slappy valve is a happy valve."

For reference: Valve Adjustments (8 Valve)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ah ha. Yeah I measured them with all the lobes up. I guess I was a little confused by the guides.

And yes, 6/8 of my clearances were tight so I changed the shims, but it's possible I made the clearances too large. I will measure again tonight the correct way, change shims, and see if that does it.

Thanks!

Comment

Is it a really loud clicking? The 550 was doing that and it turned out to be the tach drive. For giggles, try removing the tach cable from the valve cover and see if it goes away.

Rob

Comment

You measured the clearance incorrectly. Go back and read the factory service manual and Cliff's tutorial.

That noise doesn't sound like valve clearance to me, but videos have a hard time capturing such things.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Lurker Eric says it's the cam chain tensioner. Listening to video on my phone, I'd have to agree, sounds like the chain not the clearances.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by mrl1000l View Post
                  Lurker Eric says it's the cam chain tensioner. Listening to video on my phone, I'd have to agree, sounds like the chain not the clearances.
                  If so, you'll find the cam chain reset procedures in the Engine section of my website.

BassCliff

Comment

exhaust leaks can also be mistaken for loose valve sound as well, only takes a minute to give the bolts a little turn to make sure they are tight. Check your cam tensioner for proper function also.

Comment

Okay guys turns out it was the tach gear making the noise. I guess it was installed incorrectly but my question is how do I install it correctly? Has anybody else experienced this?

Comment

Take out the screw and retainer clip. Screw the cable back on and wiggle and pull it out. Clean it, refresh the oring, and reinstall it and be sure it is seated well. clean the seating surface in the cover good too.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by bmuscoty3790 View Post
                          Okay guys turns out it was the tach gear making the noise. I guess it was installed incorrectly but my question is how do I install it correctly? Has anybody else experienced this?
                          For reference, have a look at this: Replace Tach Cable Seals

BassCliff

Comment

Okay thanks! I appreciate all the input. I re-measured my valve clearances the correct way and did have to change one also it was slightly too big.

Comment

Working...
                            X