Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any guides on checking valves and doing a rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any guides on checking valves and doing a rebuild?

Any guides on here about how to go about checking valve clearance and doing a complete rebuild on a gs750? i searched but couldnt find what i was looking for.

you should find what you are looking for here............

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

awesome. thank you sir

Comment

What year 750 ? It makes a difference.....Both variants are found via that link though.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Which does it need, valve clearance or a complete rebuild?

A lot of new guys can't tell the difference until they take it all apart and find it's all brand new inside..

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

A lot of new guys can't tell the difference until they take it all apart and find it's all brand new inside..
            I have 3 GS's. One needs a complete rebuild the other one has toasted valves, i believe judging by the compression numbers.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Oleh,

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
              Help! Your Bike Won't Start
              DON'T DO THESE THINGS
              Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
              Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by Oleh View Post
                Any guides on here about how to go about checking valve clearance and doing a complete rebuild on a gs750? i searched but couldnt find what i was looking for.
                So which do you have...8 valve or 16 valve?

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

So, what is the difference between knowing which option is needed?

My second "T" is totally INOP (Inoperable) and I have no idea when the last time the engine ran. If the engine turns when I use the 19mm wrench under the ignition cover, does this mean I have nothing to worry about and skip an engine rebuild?

I need to understand what qualifies to do an engine rebuild. If I don't need to take the engine apart, I'm good with that.

Thanks for your insight.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi Mr. Oleh,

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                  DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                  Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Thank you sir. Thanks for creating such a resourceful website.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  So which do you have...8 valve or 16 valve?

So, what is the difference between knowing which option is needed?

My second "T" is totally INOP (Inoperable) and I have no idea when the last time the engine ran. If the engine turns when I use the 19mm wrench under the ignition cover, does this mean I have nothing to worry about and skip an engine rebuild?

I need to understand what qualifies to do an engine rebuild. If I don't need to take the engine apart, I'm good with that.

Thanks for your insight.

Ed
                  I have the 16 valve. Just by turning the engine you will get a relative idea if the compression is decent. It should be pretty hard to turn. Mine spins pretty easily thus i know, and after doing a compression test, 75psi in 2 cylinders.

Comment

Working...
                  X