1980 GS850G oil leak after headgasket repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G oil leak after headgasket repair

I have an oil leak coming from the bottom gasket area, below the exhaust in the center of the cylinder. There is oil coming from a molded section of the jug, I have about 40 miles on the bike since the headgasket, and all top end gaskets have been replaced, even put new rings in it when it was down. Bike runs great, no smoke, but leaks oil especially when you get the rpms up. The leak is enough to get oil on my pants. Any ideas would be appreciated, also when I tore the bike down and replaced the gaskets the kit came with rubber oring-washers, which I did not find during the tear down, could these be the cause if someone had the engine apart before? Where do they go? My manual doesn't show them, but bike did leak oil from front of engine prior to teardown also. Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 08:31 AM.

If you didn't use oem gaskets that could be the problem. Check parts diagrham on Suzuki parts place, it should show if you need the rings. If you have to take it apart again, pretty sure you'll have to have new gaskets. I'm sure you torgued all bolts to spec., might check just to make sure all where they should be. terrylee

Comment

Those O rings could be all or part of the problem- they go on your head bolts.
      Two If I remember - the front forward two- grease them before installing.
      Re torque your bolts in proper sequence in 30% increments. Then re torque again at 1K miles.
      Be careful not to over torque the small outside bolts.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. cliff75v,

For critical areas like base gasket, head gasket, etc, it's best to use the OEM gaskets. I just ordered a complete Suzuki factory gasket kit to freshen up the top end of my engine. Yes, there are O-rings in there. Around oil channels like in the picture below and around the cam chain tunnel, etc.

The aftermarket gaskets, Cometic and Vesrah, have been getting a lot of bad reviews lately. That's why I went with the more expensive factory parts. They just work.

Hit all the links in your "mega-welcome" and you find lots of GS850G goodness.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2013, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Same leak before and after? Maybe it's not from any of the gaskets you replaced. Oil from the cam chain tensioner, cam cover and tachometer drive can take sneaky paths. Can you show is a picture of the leak, or give a more detailed description of what you see?
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Number 17 is the one your looking for- I had the same leak.

Comment

Working...
            X