Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only oiling cams on one side

Hello,

I'm trying to help out a friend. He has an 82 gs750e. I've tried searching but haven't had much luck.

I wasn't with him when his problems came about but bike got hot. He said cams were stuck/seized. Not sure that is even possible But we pulled valve cover and cranked engine. Its only oiling on one side(right side if sitting on bike).

I've read on this forum about the oiling issues this particular model has but haven't come across anyone with oiling problems on only one side.

It scored the intake cam on #1 cyl just under the cam cap pretty good. Cap scored too but could possibly be cleaned up enough to reuse.

Anyone know why it would only oil on one side? Oil pump maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Nolan

Maybe, but also clogged oil screen, filter- plain bearing motors need lots of oil at decent pressure. I'm not sure but if crank bearings are really worn, they might "rob" rest of engine from needed oil.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My guess would be a blob of RTV from an ill advised gasket repair found it's way into an oil passage someplace on the way to that cam bearing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If there was anything wrong with the pump etc, then the other cams wouldnt get oil.
        I would bet on a blockage in the oiling passages. Un bolt the bolts on the side of the head under the caps, pull out the rocker pivots and check them for blockages. I have found crap in those a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          My guess would be a blob of RTV from an ill advised gasket repair found it's way into an oil passage someplace on the way to that cam bearing.
          I know that's a mistake made often but surprisingly we haven't come across any rtv on anything yet.

Tomorrow we're going to drop pan and have a look in there. I'm assuming the oil screen mentioned by Tom is under the oil pan, correct?

From what I've read (read so much its all starting to run together) you cam shim a relief valve to increase oil pressure. I think said valve may be under oil pan as well. Am i out in left field kicking rocks on this....?

Thanks again for the help and advice!
          Nolan
          Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            If there was anything wrong with the pump etc, then the other cams wouldnt get oil.
            I would bet on a blockage in the oiling passages. Un bolt the bolts on the side of the head under the caps, pull out the rocker pivots and check them for blockages. I have found crap in those a few times.
            Is it possible to blow compressed air into the oiling passages to try to dislodge the blockage?

Comment

I was just gonna suggest the very thing..back blow the galleys. Take out the big bolt on the right at the base of the jugs and lay some rags around the hole ... or have your buddy hold them to catch the oil thats gonna come out it. May actually find some chunks in the rag when done.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                I was just gonna suggest the very thing..back blow the galleys. Take out the big bolt on the right at the base of the jugs and lay some rags around the hole ... or have your buddy hold them to catch the oil thats gonna come out it. May actually find some chunks in the rag when done.

Well he just called and said he just tried this but didn't hold a rag to catch whatever it was. It worked tho. Both sides throwing oil now

Thanks to everyone for the help. This is a great site with tons of great info!

Comment

Working...
                X