Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New oil leaks found is this going to be hard to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New oil leaks found is this going to be hard to fix?

Well my perfect gs850 that needed nothing a couple weeks ago needs some thing now. I changed out the air filter to a k and n and developed blue pipes. I pulled the air box and sealed her from all sides.

Now I see some leaks that were not there before all after the blue pipes. I wonder if running hot created this new problem. Here are some pics. I think I am going to have to take this entire thing apart.

How long will this take a newbie to do?

Looks like it is leaking from the lower gasket and the valve cover gasket also.

Comment

Here is a final pic.

Comment

Actually there is another possibility, looks like you have a leak at the cam chain tensioner. That can go forward through the space between the cylinders and look just like photo #1.

Comment

I know I see one leak coming from the valve cover gasket because the gasket is dark and I rub it and oil is there. I am just not sure about the second leak. So how hard is the chain tension er to fix?

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
            I know I see one leak coming from the valve cover gasket because the gasket is dark and I rub it and oil is there. I am just not sure about the second leak. So how hard is the chain tension er to fix?
            There is a tutorial on Bascliffs site somewhere that is a great guide, biggest problem is getting that thing out of there, depending on your tools and manual dexterity it may be easier and faster just to remove the air box and carbs to get to it. Either way it is definitely doable even with little or no previous experience. Just take your time and ask questions.

Cheers
            Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

You need to rejet the carburetors, should clean them at the same time. Fix the tensioner while they are out. Unlike a lot of GS models, on an 850G removing the carburetors is a five minute job.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, looks like the 'ole valve cover gasket could be gone, and the half moons sometimes leak. Sometimes it helps if you re-torque the valve cover bolts as the gasket compresses over time.
                The other leak looks like the cam chain tensioner. But before you mess with it, check your breather hose for cracks, breaks, or it may be like the one on my GS1100, which was disconnected.
                If you go to replace or repair the cam chain tensoioner turn your handlebar kill switch so the bike will not turnover, then loosen the lock nut on the cam chain tensioner and tighten the set screw so the internal push rod won't have any chance of being left in the engine when you remove it and the rod won't be fully extended.
                I don't know about the 850, but I'm able to remove mine on an 1100 without having to pull the carbs, (sorry but don't think you'll be so lucky) fun stuff!
                Those nuts that hold it on are slotted for a Phillips.
                Here's a cam chain tensioner rebuild tutorial.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  You need to rejet the carburetors, should clean them at the same time. Fix the tensioner while they are out. Unlike a lot of GS models, on an 850G removing the carburetors is a five minute job.

I was planning on a valve adjustment, vac boot replace, carb cleaning and sync. Why do you reccomend I re jet the carbs. Is that because of the k and N filter I installed?

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                    Yeah, looks like the 'ole valve cover gasket could be gone, and the half moons sometimes leak. Sometimes it helps if you re-torque the valve cover bolts as the gasket compresses over time.
                    The other leak looks like the cam chain tensioner. But before you mess with it, check your breather hose for cracks, breaks, or it may be like the one on my GS1100, which was disconnected.
                    If you go to replace or repair the cam chain tensoioner turn your handlebar kill switch so the bike will not turnover, then loosen the lock nut on the cam chain tensioner and tighten the set screw so the internal push rod won't have any chance of being left in the engine when you remove it and the rod won't be fully extended.
                    I don't know about the 850, but I'm able to remove mine on an 1100 without having to pull the carbs, (sorry but don't think you'll be so lucky) fun stuff!
                    Those nuts that hold it on are slotted for a Phillips.
                    Here's a cam chain tensioner rebuild tutorial.
                    http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html

Sweet Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
                      I was planning on a valve adjustment, vac boot replace, carb cleaning and sync. Why do you reccomend I re jet the carbs. Is that because of the k and N filter I installed?
                      If you put it in and the pipes got blue, yes.
                      These were lean as can be from Suzuki, you make it a tiny bit leaner with that filter and it's too lean. Mght be enough to just raise the needle a bit and readjust the mixture screws, you might not actually need any jets.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X