1150 Uh oh...more woes-pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Uh oh...more woes-pics

The tranny I sent off to get undercut appears not to be the same as the one in my engine.

The tranny had been sitting in a box in the garage for 10 years which I purchased from a drag racer and was told was for an 1150.

Live and learn I guess, as I sent the spare one off before pulling mine apart, so I could keep riding till it arrived.
    Track day coming up next Sunday and I might have to forfeit.

The output shaft (countershaft) that I didn't take a picture of, fits the C-ring grooves, but the input shaft is too short. Notice the splines/threads on the end of the shaft.
    Also their is no wave washer near the bearing (2nd pic) and the two bearings will not align in the C-ring grooves. (off by a couple of mm.)
    The oily one has the wave washers installed (top left bearing) making it appear longer.

Also the C-ring groove securing the larger bearing behind the clutch basket has cracked off the upper case. I still have the piece, but it's very thin.

I think my only option at this point is to pull the motor out of my wife's bike and run it at the track until I figure out what to do with mine.
    If anyone recognizes what bike the shaft on the right came from and what gear the tooth with damage is, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks

Last edited by Carter Turk; 06-14-2013, 06:09 PM.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Since this is a boring subject, I thought I share the decision to swap motors.
    The wife's engine is now in my frame.
    Still need to adjust valves, fit carbs, mount exhaust etc.
    Ronin showed up unexpectedly, helping to speed up engine swap and heavy lifting duties.
    Some IPA was consumed.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

At least you got some IPA down the hatch. Try Pousseux for a tranny that is guaranteed to fit 1150. He's a good guy and his prices were amazing when I met him to pick up a fairing and some other parts for mine. The only issue would be that he's in Quebec, but if you're close enough to Canada maybe you could have it shipped to a GSer near you at the border and go pick it up?

Comment

Yeah Carter. There's a few of us in Vancouver if it will save you money....
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Hey thanks for the info, Pousseux name came up as a potential part holder, but I figured it wouldn't happen shipping wise with such short notice.

bccap, that would be cool to have a spot over the border to pick up Canadian parts. I've met Katman for parts before up that way.

Comment

Well it runs. I had to fuss around adjusting 48 valves or so with the lock nut tightening after getting a good light drag at 4 thou with the feelers.
            Didn't document wiring very well so I was running on 1 coil last night until I swapped plugs, and finally touched the exhaust, 1-4 hot, 2-3 nothing much.
            Realized I plugged the Dyna-S to the wrong black wire.( blk w/wh stripe instead of blk w/y stripe).
            Thought I was going to take it for a little test spin tonight, but the headlight is out. Tried another known good one, nothing.
            The black and white plug on the three prong looks a little buggered, but lit the headlight before. Any ideas? thanks.

Comment

not sure what you mean by buggered but you could get a new plug from the parts store and be done. Eliminate that as a cause and move on from there.

Comment

Working...
              X