Clutch Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Maintenance

A few weeks ago I removed the heavy duty clutch springs and replaced them with the original OEM springs. I did this because the strength required to pull back the clutch lever was tyring during around town driving. (Age related)

After reassembly I read up here about the clutch and issue it can present that is in my bike. I was not familiar with the workings of clutch I had. After learning about the hub nut upgrade and backing plate spring noise, I decided to order the correct parts and go back in and replace some parts and generally check out the whole clutch assembly.

I have received all the parts needed to do this. I have a few question at this point. Do I need to drain the oil out, if the bike is on the kickstand ? Also as you can see below the engine is not stock. I love the way the clutch works with the OEM springs and have had no issues with the clutch since installing them. Do I really need HD springs?

Thanks Guys,

you do not need to drain the oil with the bike on the kickstand, but be prepared to lose a tiny amount of oil as you pull the cover off.

you do not need H/D clutch springs as long as your stock springs are within spec
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The need for heavy springs is DIRECTLY related to how much ppwer your engine makes. If it is stock, GOOD stock springs, not worn out, will be all it needs. More power equates to needing more spring pressure to keep the clutch from slipping. Ray.

Comment

if the clutch doesn't slip with the stock springs, and you want an easier lever action, then they will work fine.
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

I have ran the engine hard since putting the OEM springs in with no slippage and smooth shifting. I don't run the bike hard as a general rule. Except when I get bored

New question, there has been a leak out of one of the clutch cover bolts since the bike was almost new. It is one of the bolts that goes through the dowel pins.

Any advice on how to stop this?
          Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

have you got a pic of which bolt hole is leaking?
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Here is a photo of the clutch cover.

I have tried using thread sealer, also tried using two gaskets with no success. The last time I had it off I used some gasket sealer on the dowel pin. This worked for about 30 miles then it slowly started leaking again.

It is #25 on the parts detail picture.

Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X