Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swap 1000G engine with engine from a 1000GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap 1000G engine with engine from a 1000GL?

My buddy did a leak down test on the 1980 GS1000G I am building and it looks like there is a problem on cylinder 4.

Instead of tearing into the engine on the G I would rather just swap it out with the engine from the parts bike, so I wanted to make sure that the engine and drivetrain from a 1981 1000GL is fully compatible with a 1980 1000G.

Anyone know if everything is the same?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM.

Nothing different that I know of for '80-'81 1000G or 1000GL. I think I saw it being mentioned about a starter clutch being different on the '82 and later, but that is also a model year change, so you should be ok.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Straight swap, bolt in.

Comment

That's good news. Hopefully the parts bike engine is good. Might even go crazy and do a total rebuild on the bad one when it comes out.

Hey Rick, we are going to be working on the bike at my buddy's house in Casselberry right off Red Bug and 436. You should swing by sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Sure, but weekend afternoons only for the next year. I start MMI night shift next Monday. I get off work at 3:00 and have to be there from 6:20-11:30.

Does that L parts bike have a clear title? I've been inspired by another GSR build I saw and the 1100GL parts bike I brought back from Tenn. has no title and they chopped up the frame more than I want. PM me and address and a number
          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

5th gear ratio is different, otherwise engine is same. Hope your buddy knew enough to perform a valve adjustment before judging engine sealing.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              Sure, but weekend afternoons only for the next year. I start MMI night shift next Monday. I get off work at 3:00 and have to be there from 6:20-11:30.

Does that L parts bike have a clear title? I've been inspired by another GSR build I saw and the 1100GL parts bike I brought back from Tenn. has no title and they chopped up the frame more than I want. PM me and address and a number
              If it had a title I probably would have gotten it running instead of using it as a parts bike Too bad cause it seems to be a solid bike.

BTW, are you the one with the craigslist ad with all the GS parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Hope your buddy knew enough to perform a valve adjustment before judging engine sealing.
                Well, another friend of mine who is helping me with this project did inspect the valves and said they had already been adjusted. I will confirm this though. Don't want to make any more work than is necessary. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by BluePlateSpecial View Post
                  If it had a title I probably would have gotten it running instead of using it as a parts bike Too bad cause it seems to be a solid bike.

BTW, are you the one with the craigslist ad with all the GS parts?
                  The guy in Tenn. kept the title with the engine on the bike I got. I got it with an 850 engine in it through a second party. I wonder when he'll discover the vin numbers on the engine don't match the title numbers?

Yep that's my ad. Getting rid of some excess parts. Sold a few parts from my ad on here but then it dried up. I need to go and bump it.
                  GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Just talked to my buddy and the air was leaking into the engine case so it had nothing to do with the valves, so it looks like there is a problem with that one cylinder. The other 3 were good but I think that one was losing about 40%.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      Yep that's my ad. Getting rid of some excess parts. Sold a few parts from my ad on here but then it dried up. I need to go and bump it.
                      Any luck selling that stuff on craigslist? I have quite a few parts I need to move. Guess I have nothing to lose.....

Might be bringing the parts bike up on Saturday. I will be talking to Matt on thursday at bike nite to confirm. 'll let you know if you want to stop by.

Comment

Working...
                      X