How to put exhaust on the bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to put exhaust on the bike?

Well after doing a poor job putting the exhaust back on last time - because I didn't have new crush gaskets - I am trying to do it right this time. Any advice?

Is it OK to put the two small/middle pipes on the head first and then bring in each side pipe?

Also a couple of the bolts are shorter than the others. Hmmm. Maybe the fiche can tell me which is which.

I guess I could spray some carb cleaner on the head and try to get some of the gunk off first.

Thanks, guys.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Personally, I would hang the outer pipes (loosely), then add the center pipes.

Get everything to line up so it goes together, then start tightening from front to back.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What he said.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Will do. Contemplating what to do with heat shield which has lost three of four mount points, and whether I should not put this together until I get this repaired or replaced. Hmmm

Comment

Yep - outer pipes first then the middle two - also helps to have about 6 hands...

Try brake cleaner as opposed to carb cleaner to remove the gunk - it leaves little residue compared to carb cleaner.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

With bike on centerstand and cardboard underneath it, and muffler assembly bolted "loosely" together underneath bike, I used wire in the rear mount holes to raise up the rear, then I slid like a shoe box underneath the pipes under the engine to get it elevated and in the ballpark area, then moved the headers forward and up until I got those loosely seated and in place. When I got it all in place then I bolted the rear mounts, not too tight, and then started tightening the header bolts, but not too tight until I got everything in place. Once I got everything positioned correctly then I put the torque on all the bolts, evenly and sequentially until all was tight.

I would highly recommend anti-seize on all your bolts (appears you have some residue of it there).

I wouldn't worry about the gunk (it protects the finish ) at least until you get it all back together, then some spray degreaser and a brush.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              With bike on centerstand and cardboard underneath it, and muffler assembly bolted "loosely" together underneath bike, I used wire in the rear mount holes to raise up the rear, then I slid like a shoe box underneath the pipes under the engine to get it elevated and in the ballpark area, then moved the headers forward and up until I got those loosely seated and in place. When I got it all in place then I bolted the rear mounts, not too tight, and then started tightening the header bolts, but not too tight until I got everything in place. Once I got everything positioned correctly then I put the torque on all the bolts, evenly and sequentially until all was tight.

I would highly recommend anti-seize on all your bolts (appears you have some residue of it there).

I wouldn't worry about the gunk (it protects the finish ) at least until you get it all back together, then some spray degreaser and a brush.
              I would consider anti sieze mandatory. Ive used it on all cycle exhausts Ive worked on and never had a problem with removal ,or loosening while in use. Careful not to use too much though. Ive had excess anti sieze get hot and drip on the pipe, leaving a stain.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
              X