Hard to shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to shift

So I'm trying to bring back to life a 1980 gsx750 that hasn't been started since 2005. It's running now which is great, but when I try to shift gears with the toe shifter it's really hard, especially upshifting. What should I check first? It seems that if I pull up while slightly pulling my foot toward the motor it shifts easier, but still difficult. Any ideas? Thanks

Clutch cable needs to be adjusted

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
      Clutch cable needs to be adjusted
      yes and no

one can shift a bike without the use of the clutch.....

are you shifting the bike while stationary ? if so this could be why, try rocking the bike back and forth while sitting on it and shifting the gears, it should be easier as it will allow the gears to mesh much easier.

or are you having shifting issues while the bike is moving down the road and your riding ? then a clutch adjustment could be helpful and make for easier shifting...

Comment

Its while I'm moving and more difficult at lower speeds. Is there instructions on how to adjust the clutch on here somewhere?
        it doesn't feel real loose when I pull in with my hand but it seems real difficult to pull up with my foot so the problem sounds like it's more with the foot shifter
        Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

The gear shifter could be off by a tooth or two at most. Post up a picture of it in its current position.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Could be some problem inside the shift mechanism under the clutch cover. This bike was parked for years before you got it? You may have just found out why.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

might pay to check its lubed and free to move where the selector shaft comes through the sprocket cover

ozman

Comment

Just to verify, are the discs free or dragging when you pull the clutch? My line of thought is that if your basket has those nasty grooves and the discs aren't sliding freely then it would also be difficult to shift gears. Someone mentioned clutch less shifting, so if you are well practiced and know your bike well enough I guess you could rule this out.

Comment

Does it get better once the bike is warmed up? If so if could just be sticky clutch plates. Put the in first, engine off, clutch in, try rolling it. Its bound to resist at first then roll freely.

I used to park my 850 in neutral and it was very hard to shift into 2nd until it warmed up. Now I park in first and have no problems because staring the bike in gear frees the sticky clutch plates.

Comment

I know I can tell when my oil needs to be changed by the shifting, though not hard but,did u change the oil? go though all the maintenance and checks?

Comment

Oil was my next step but I still need to order the filter which I'll be doing tonight. Going into first from neutral doesn't seem hard, but going into the higher gears seems difficult. It does seem that the warmer the bike gets isn't as bad. So what should I look at first? It has been sitting since 05 andmy friend says there was no mechanical issues when it was parked.

Comment

So you are running the 8 year old oil?
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I've just went around the block for a test ride at this point just to see if she would even move and trying to get a list of things to buy first. Oil was the first thing, but it looks like the filter will need to be ordered.

Comment

Check your chain tension. When I readjusted mine, it made shifting go from nearly impossible to smooth.

Comment

Having gone through an extreme case of this myself I will venture that you do have a dragging clutch. Basically when actuated, the clutch does not fully open. Some of the disks are touching or held together by gummy oil. It could also be that the clutch plates are worn and or as mentioned the clutch basket has been grooved and hold the disks.

A dragging clutch makes it very difficult for the transmission to shift.

I think for peace of mind, you should drain and change the oil and filter but before doing that I would open up the clutch and check the specs on all the disks, basket and springs. All the information will be in the manual.

Once you confirm things are in spec clean everything in fresh oil, reassemble and fill up with fresh oil and filter. Check the adjustment on the clutch cable and try it out.

I found that my clutch disks were way under spec (worn) and the steels were scorched. In addition, the clutch springs were the wrong size. Now its unlikely you would have all these issues but worn parts can cause this dragging and poor shifting.

As the others have said you can shift without a clutch and it maybe possible with the bike on a centerstand or even when running but if you find it baulks when trying to use the clutch then its something to do with the clutch mechanism.

check it out and let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
                              X