GS Engine Rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Engine Rebuilding

I've been into bikes for some time. Built a chopper, 2 cafes and worked a bunch of stuff here and there. Out of all the things I've done, I'd like to rebuild an engine. In particular I'd like to rebuild a GS engine. Right now I have a 79 GS 750 with 24,XXX miles. I already have to tend to a plug fouling issue caused by oil which may or may not cause me to go into the engine a little. If I have to open it up a little, I'd probably want to go into the rest just to check things out and make sure it's all good. I'd learn how to build it and fix all the problems at the same time.

Here's the questions. Are there any good books or videos on rebuilding the GS engines? Info on best places to buy engine parts, etc? Any info is appreciated.

I would imagine that the service manual would give you plenty of information....

get your copy here, if available for your bike..

Comment

Yeah, service manual is probably your best bet. You can search YouTube for motorcycle engine rebuild videos, just bear in mind that only the general principles will apply.

I would suggest doing a top-end rebuild as your first. My understanding is that there's usually no reason to dig into the bottom end unless the engine is actually known to be damaged in some way down there or has a crap-ton of miles on it.

BassCliff is in the middle of a top-end rebuild, and is documenting the process. I'm in the market for a top-end rebuild myself (leaking head gasket) and I'm not-so-secretly hoping that he's got his all wrapped up before I start mine.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

You don't need too many special tools beyond the basics and if you know car engines you should be able to refresh a GS engine.

A couple of things I learned doing several engines:

I use Permatex 97 which seems to work well.

Clean the engine before you disassemble it and clean all holes out with a tap carefully to remove gunk and make the torque readings accurate sse a torque wrench religiously.

Be prepared to drill out a bolt. I did two on my 1000, one was on the intake boot mount, a critical pain in the arse. I used an impact driver on the exhaust bolts and took my time with them.

Go through the manual and make sure you have all the gaskets, seals, and expendable parts you need. Some engine gasket kits omit key o rings and other parts.

Clean as you go and take your time. Don't rush it.

My .02
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I had to get into the bottom end on my 850 just to replace the seals between the transmission and secondary drive. Still something that you can do with basic tools assuming there isn't any serious valve issues and even then you probably can get some local help for that.

Well worth the effort though, what I found was basically no wear, just all of the seals, o-rings and gaskets need to be replaced on thirty plus year old engines.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X