Gs650g trans swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650g trans swap

Hello I am new to this sight and have been pleased with all the information. My question is, do any of you know if a chain drive trans is a straight swap into a gs650g shaft drive frame. I am wanting to hardtail it and want to change to chain so I can change the gearing on it. Thanks for all of your help.

You can not simply change the transmission, you have to change the entire crankcase.

If you have your heart set on a chain-driven GS650, they do exist, as the GS650E. Your shaft-driven bike is either a GS650G or a GS650GL.

There are some that have sucessfully hard-tailed a shaft-driven bike, but you have to be careful how you attach the rear frame to the final drive unit. The existing shock mounting point is not engineered for the high shock loads of no suspension. The shock mount on the right side should be no problem.

Why are you wanting to change the ratio? It is geared nearly-perfect for that engine as-is.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok thanks for the info. I was wanting to change the gearing for a little lower rpm around 70 mph and highway speed. Seems like it revs high like around 6000 I'm just concerned that this high of rpm will damage the motor

Comment

Chugging it at lower RPM will do more damage.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaoutdoors View Post
          Ok thanks for the info. I was wanting to change the gearing for a little lower rpm around 70 mph and highway speed. Seems like it revs high like around 6000 I'm just concerned that this high of rpm will damage the motor
          It's a small, short-stroke engine that LOVES to spin.

Too bad you plan on hard-tailing it, you will miss out on all the FUN that engine has to offer.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I'm not gonna hardtail it if I can get some shorter springs. It is tall for me. I love the bike. It's a blast to ride and I love the old four cylinders. So running that high of rpm is ok as long as valves and all are good. If I keep the springs I would like to get some hard saddle bags and make it look sort of like a dresser

Comment

Originally posted by Klaoutdoors View Post
              I'm not gonna hardtail it if I can get some shorter springs. It is tall for me. I love the bike. It's a blast to ride and I love the old four cylinders. So running that high of rpm is ok as long as valves and all are good. If I keep the springs I would like to get some hard saddle bags and make it look sort of like a dresser
              Click the link in my sig for my son's 650L for a preview.

Shorter shocks are available from Progressive Suspension.

Last edited by Steve; 09-19-2013, 03:52 PM.
              sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

That's a beautiful bike. Does it still run decent at highway speeds with the extra weight for saddle bags and all

Comment

Didn't weigh them when we put them on, but I don't think that the bags and the brackets weigh more than 30 pounds or so.

Yes, even when he slows down to "highway speeds", it still handles well.

These particular bags are not water-tight, so he has to pack carefully. Other than that, we are extremely happy with them.

There are still a few more details that need to be added, then we will post an updated picture.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Seems to me the better route may be to find a 650L and swap. The seat is a bit lower and may be a better fit for you in terms of style too. I'm only guessing there though.

Comment

Working...
                    X