Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapping after valve clearance?

Hello out there

So I finally completed a long list of maintenance on my bike.

As of this week.
    Valve clearances.
    New boots and seals
    Cleaned carbs.
    New air box boots.
    All new hoses.
    New breather gasket.
    New valve cover gasket.
    New crank case gasket.
    New clutch cover gasket.
    Air box has been sealed.

So what I noticed when I took it out for a test run. The idle is higher now about 2000rpms. Before around 1200. I figured this is because boots are sealed up and every thing is tight now?

I also noticed tapping I believe in the number one intake. I remember looking at this shim and thinking it seemed different than the rest I swapped out. I ended going to a Suzuki dealership and swapping shims with the mechanic. The last one I installed was a 2.4 however it looked different than the rest it was light gray in color not dark and it was lighter it seemed. Could the tapping be from a shim that is slightly different in material or maybe he gave me one that had a slightly smaller diameter?

Have any of you ever had tapping after a valve clearance job? Before my clearances were all unable to get even a .002 under them. After my greatest gap was .006 with my smallest at .003. Also the 4.5 shim had it's number like this (4-5) instead of like my others 4.5.

Just looking for some opinions.

I greatly appreciate all your input.
    Thanks

Your clearances should be between .0015-.0035"

Did you adjust the valves per the factory Suzuki procedure where you adjust the valves in adjacent pairs?
    Last edited by Nessism; 09-26-2013, 08:47 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Your clearances should be between .0015-.0035"

Did you adjust the valves per the factory Suzuki procedure where you adjust the valves in adjacent pairs?
      Hello

I am refering to mm not inches. I had clearances with feeler gauge between .03-.06.

My mistake I meant .03-.06 not .003-.006

Comment

woops I just noticed my feeler gauge goes from .002 or .05mm and up.

So my .003 is actually .08.

all my shims except for a few are out of adjustment. The gaps are too large.

Comment

So, some of your valves are set at .006" or .15mm clearance? Guess that answers the question. I'm sure they are pretty noisy, don't know if they are so loose as to cause mechanical problems, but if you still can swap shims I would. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
            So, some of your valves are set at .006" or .15mm clearance? Guess that answers the question. I'm sure they are pretty noisy, don't know if they are so loose as to cause mechanical problems, but if you still can swap shims I would. Ray
            The bike ran well but tapping like crazy. I just got back from purchasing a feeler gauge made for motorcycles with smaller gauges. I have all my clearances over spec. Ha. I spoke with bike mechanic over at Suzuki and told him I would get him a gift certificate to in n out burger (popular place here in California) tomorrow when I would come by to pick up more shims to swap out. He was cool with it. Live and learn. I tell ya I really do enjoy working on the bike it is about the only thing that quiets my mind these days.

Comment

I see you likely have the solution to your problem, but I noticed this, and felt the need to comment:
              Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
              Could the tapping be from a shim that is slightly different in material or maybe he gave me one that had a slightly smaller diameter?
              If the dealer also handles Kawasaki or Yamaha, check the diameter of the shims. Kawasaki and Yamaha use shims that are 29.0 mm diameter, Suzuki uses 29.5 mm. The other shims will go in, but won't fit properly.

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
              Also the 4.5 shim had it's number like this (4-5) instead of like my others 4.5.
              That is typical of some aftermarket shims, like K&L, but it's also typical of Yamaha and Kawasaki. MEASURE THE DIAMETER OF THE SHIM.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X