GS 1100l countershaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100l countershaft

What is the easiest way to replace the oil seal on the shaft drive 1100L countershaft? Tranny is already apart and I have the new seal. Just a little stuck on how to get the old one off and the new one on.

Thanks!

- pic of the tool

From what I've found in the shop manual, you need a obsolete tool called a cam dog stopper. Any ideas about how to do this without the obsolete tool?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Any ideas how to fab a tool like this or an alternative?

Comment

I made one to replace that seal. I used a piece of all thread threaded into the end of the shaft. I cut windows into the side of a piece of pipe which goes over the all thread with a large washer capping it off, then I used an threaded rod coupling as a compression nut. Once in place tightening the nut compresses the spring, allowing you to remove the keepers. Be careful when reassembling that the gear locking rings (don't remember what they are called) are properly indexed when you relieve spring pressure.

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks Matt! I was figuring that we would have to fab something to get at that seal. The idiots at the Suzuki shop wouldn't even look at the shaft. Their knee jerk response was we don't work on anything older than 10 years.

Comment

Probably should be grateful that they don't if they are like the one here

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
              Probably should be grateful that they don't if they are like the one here
              I had them mount a rear tire on my 450 (minus the bike). I took the tire off and brought them the rim/tire for mounting and they screwed it up. They pinched the bead and I ended up taking the tire over to the Yammie shop (no qualms about old machines) to fix. The Yammie folks were disgusted with the mounting job the Suzuki shop did (wrong size inner tube + pinched bead).

Comment

Lathe

Hi, if you have access to a lathe, you can use a chuck on a lathe to hold the shaft and then use the tailstock to compress the spring enough to remove the keepers.
                1981 GS 1000GLX.
                1981 GS 1000G.
                1981 GS 650GLX.
                1975 TS 185.
                1972 100. Kawasaki.
                1968 100. Suzuki.
                1970 Z 50. Honda.
                1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                  Hi, if you have access to a lathe, you can use a chuck on a lathe to hold the shaft and then use the tailstock to compress the spring enough to remove the keepers.
                  Unfortunately, no lathe but maybe a machine shop in town would be willing to help out.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

After my numerous marginal experiences with the Suzuki shop in Kissimmee, I stopped using them. Tried using them for parts, you know support the local shop, but their customer service is crap. I was appalled at what they charged for swapping rubbers for me. Took my rear up to the Victory/ Kawi place when I was have a hard time getting it to take the bead, they finished the job and wouldn't even take a tip on the side for doing it.

Comment

Sad that so many Suzuki dealers seem so arrogant or inept. Since I never buy a bike new and work on my own I have had little need for the local Suzi dealer except for parts.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

After my numerous marginal experiences with the Suzuki shop in Kissimmee, I stopped using them. Tried using them for parts, you know support the local shop, but their customer service is crap. I was appalled at what they charged for swapping rubbers for me. Took my rear up to the Victory/ Kawi place when I was have a hard time getting it to take the bead, they finished the job and wouldn't even take a tip on the side for doing it.
                        I've been to the Kissimmee shop once and i wasn't too impressed. I never had them do any service. I was just enquiring about parts.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          Sad that so many Suzuki dealers seem so arrogant or inept. Since I never buy a bike new and work on my own I have had little need for the local Suzi dealer except for parts.
                          The local shop was bragging that one of their mechanic have worked on Suzukis for 27 years. In the next breath, they said they don't work on any bikes over 10. Why bother bragging about a guy who's worked there that long?

Comment

I made one to replace that seal. I used a piece of all thread threaded into the end of the shaft. I cut windows into the side of a piece of pipe which goes over the all thread with a large washer capping it off, then I used an threaded rod coupling as a compression nut. Once in place tightening the nut compresses the spring, allowing you to remove the keepers. Be careful when reassembling that the gear locking rings (don't remember what they are called) are properly indexed when you relieve spring pressure.

Good Luck
                            I sent you a PM about your tool. My friend doesn't have the right equipment to fab a tool even though he's been trying.

Comment

Working...
                            X