Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS750E-No reading from speedometer and tachometer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750E-No reading from speedometer and tachometer.

Bought bike w/o both working. Undid the speedo cable and the internal cable is broken. Was able to find one for $17 on eBay. Is the tach cable going to be that easy of a fix? I know it goes into the top part of the engine.

Depends... Things that might cause the tach to not work include:

1: Broken tach cable (replace cable)
    2: Gummed up tach (open tach and lubricate the internals)
    3: Damaged tach drive gear on either the holder going into the cylinder head (replace drive gear in holder)
    4: Damaged cam side drive gear (replace cam and most likely the holder drive gear as well).

Hope it's not the cam for your sake. That requires pulling the cam to fix but not likely a problem on your model.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. alingo2001,

For a plethora of background information, "how to" guides, documentation, tips, etc, see your very own "mega-welcome" below.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Change the cable. Unless the oring that seals the tach drive into the cam cover is leaking theres no reason to dick with anything else.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

At least the cable is cheap.

Comment

Also some advice on the gear indicator. It's on but doesn't show what gear i'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by alingo2001 View Post
              Also some advice on the gear indicator. It's on but doesn't show what gear i'm in.
              This might not be any help to you, but on my '86 550 the wiring had been pulled from the circuit board on the back of the display. It didn't look like they had been held down with anything other then the solder so it wouldn't have taken much to break them free. I fixed mine with a soldering iron and a little hot glue.

Comment

Just replaced the speedo cable. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                X