Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vibrations

gs1000e
    i think this is going to be a crank rebuild, all the other problems ive had with this bike has now been sorted, carbs rebuild , heavy duty clutch, new starter clutch,
    iam getting a low to high pitch chatter every now and then with vibrations ive spent some time listening to were the noise is coming from and it all points to the bottom end, when i first got the bike i changed the oil and there was some bronze filings in the oil ive changed the oil since and its been clear of the bronze filings,
    does this point to the crank

One quick way to tell is to remove the spark plugs for #1 and #4. Remove the ignition cover off the right end of the crank. Have someone help you, place a pencil or a small wood or plastic rod down the spark plug hole so it rests on the top of the piston. Have your helper slowly turn the crank with the large nut on the end of the crank while you hold the two rods. Note whether they come to the top or bottom at the same time. They should go up and down at exactly the same time. If you have a problem with a crank, one will get there before the other. Can't say which one will be first, it depends on where the problem is in the crank.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks steve will do this tomorrow
      if there is a prob with the crank ill have to do some home work in stripping the engine and rebuild ie setting the cams and timing

Comment

Working...
      X