GS1100 Engine Smokey on Start Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Engine Smokey on Start Up

I've done a fair bit of work on this engine now but not complete strip down. Fixed all the leaks (oil filter area and cam cover), replaced a chipped inlet cam and follower, set the valve clearances, compression is good, stripped and cleaned carbs, new rubber boots etc. The engine starts, idles and runs as it should but if I leave it standing for a few days it will blow a lot of smoke starting a few seconds after start up for about 10 seconds then stops and doesn't blow any more smoke any time after that. It doesn't seem to do this if I start the bike every day. If this was a dry sump motor I would have said that the oil return line is leaking into the sump, but since it aint a dry sump motor, I'm wondering what it could be.

valve guides and/or seals. the oil seeps past while the engine is sat idle and then burns off when you next start it. also would be noticed if you throttle off and then wind open the throttle again, the vacuum created in the combustion chambers will suck the oil in past the guides and seals and you will get a puff of smoke upon opening throttle again
    Last edited by Agemax; 10-05-2013, 06:11 PM.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Time to change the valve stem seals.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

That's what I would have thought too, except it doesn't seem to blow smoke on the throttle off and back on again thing.

Comment

its hard to see when you are riding the bike, get someone to follow you and watch what happens
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Good Point. I will do that. Thanks

Comment

I put in new valve stem seals in mine recently, with the help of HJFISK, and mine smoked on start up and kept smoking for a couple of days. Had a nice smoke show. Said screw it a was going to ride it and see what happens. After about 5-6 miles it cleared up and has never come back. Good for me. Take it for a 25-50 mile ride and see what happens.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Though if they're just on the way out the seals will soften as the engine warms up and appear to function properly.

If it only smokes on cold start up it's nothing to worry about - unless it bothers you (though there's a contradiction in terms).
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Think of it this way, you are doing your little bit to keep malaria out of Australia.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah. Once I start riding it there is no smoke that I can see (and no one else has said anything). Its not worrying me and I have a major rebuilt lined up on my Harley. I just want it running reliably while I do that. I'll just leave it for now and get back to it. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by MiketheBike View Post
                      Thanks guys. Yeah. Once I start riding it there is no smoke that I can see (and no one else has said anything). Its not worrying me and I have a major rebuilt lined up on my Harley. I just want it running reliably while I do that. I'll just leave it for now and get back to it. Thanks again.
                      There's nothing there at all that would compromise reliability at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just an update to this old thread. Now that I have put about 1000miles on the engine, there is no smoke ever. I think it might have been BassCliffe that said in a post somewhere, that given some miles these old engines will wear the rings in again and become smoke free. looks like that worked for me!

Comment

The guides will be history, putting new seals on worn out guides is just a bandaid.
                          Speed Merchant
                          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                          X