Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning crank case - need to split it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will certainly get more experience taking it all the way apart.

When I pull cylinders I do it with the engine on it's side so the crap around the studs doesn't fall into the cases. Harder to do if it's still in the bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Been there done that. If you haven't messed around too much with it and spread dirt everywhere remove the oil pan and after carefully picking out as much dirt as you can and hopefully not turning the crankshaft yet pour about gallon of solvent though the crankcase into a catch basin to flush the crankcase. If you think you've got all dirt out then do it again just to be sure, solvent is cheap. Then have somebody spin the crank and do it again and you should be good to go. It's definitely a judgement call on your part if and when you got it all but it should work. Immediately after your first startup change the oil.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        ...pour about gallon of solvent though the crankcase into a catch basin to flush the crankcase.
        What kind of solvent are we talkin'?

Comment

Also, it was just a few crumbs, not a lot of debris. I was able to wipe/vacume it out and then poured about 2 quarts of oil all over the crank to clean it off, then I drained it. Solvent may not be a bad idea anyhow, it is a little grimey in there after 30k.

Comment

I would probably use Varsol, that is my opinion, it will clean out the area and it leaves things sort of oily, at least nothing will dry out and start rusting on you....

you can always pour some more oil afterwards and let it drain out overnight...

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
              I would probably use Varsol, that is my opinion, it will clean out the area and it leaves things sort of oily, at least nothing will dry out and start rusting on you....

you can always pour some more oil afterwards and let it drain out overnight...

Exactly, you want something very thin like varsol so it flows through rather than sticking to the bearings and crank. Before you put the pan back on you should pour a bit of oil through to make sure the rod and crank bearings are coated and any remaining varsol is displaced but all debris must be out by this time.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Beautiful. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Would odorless mineral spirits work too? I have a jug of that lying around.

Comment

easy way to figure it out, pour some on your hand a little bit, don't want to hurt yourself, but that stuff is not caustic, let it dry, does it leave a film ? or does it dry and leave a white or any kind of residue, if yes don't use it..

Comment

Working...
                    X