SHims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHims

Doing valves on fiends GS1000 and every clearnance is to tight for my .02 metric feeler, what gives? Odo shows 39K. Is this unusual?

Not if it hasn't been done in a while. When was the last time the adjustment preformed?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Not at all unusual, almost no one thinks to adjust the valves on these old beasts until someone here beats it into them. Crossing my fingers for ya that there are no burnt valves.

Since this is your first post and it sounds like you're already halfway through the job, allow me to usurp our regular greeter BassCliff with a link to his website: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ There you'll find factory service manual and supplementary instructions for doing the valve clearance adjustment among many other procedures and items.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I am pretty sure maintenance was never performed. I am sure the valve cover had never been off before. Once upon a time I got a tech degree from MMI so I know my way around but my speciality program was Harley and I am trying to fall back on my core training. If the clearance is nil do you just shotgun off an order for shims a couple sizes smaller than what currently in the bucket and go from there or does the head need to come off at this point and the valves ground?

Comment

If the shim bucket will turn then you know that have some gap. One shim size down should bring it into spec. If the bucket wont turn, then go two sizes down and prey. Many times you can swap shims from one valve to another to get some into spec. First step will be to inventory all your shims, how much if any gap and what position they're in. You could pick up one shim that's thinner then any you currently have and use that as a base ship to measure off of.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

There is a shim club here; someone should be able to provide a link. Not sure how they operate, but it would most likely be cheaper than purchasing all your own shims.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              If the shim bucket will turn then you know that have some gap. One shim size down should bring it into spec. If the bucket wont turn, then go two sizes down and prey. Many times you can swap shims from one valve to another to get some into spec. First step will be to inventory all your shims, how much if any gap and what position they're in. You could pick up one shim that's thinner then any you currently have and use that as a base ship to measure off of.
              About half of the buckets spin. The guy I am doing this for ordered a tool so I can take the shim out but he's about 3 days late. I guess take each one out and record/measure and put back in and then proceed through them all. This bike is kind of growing on me, wish my friend had not rattle canned it, it did look very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                There is a shim club here; someone should be able to provide a link. Not sure how they operate, but it would most likely be cheaper than purchasing all your own shims.
                Thanks, I'll look around and see if I can find it

Comment

You can hold the valves open by sticking a folded zip tie through the spark plug hole and into the gap between the open valve and the head. I personally prefer the Motion Pro tool, but many swear by the zip tie method. My eye sight is not good enough.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    You can hold the valves open by sticking a folded zip tie through the spark plug hole and into the gap between the open valve and the head. I personally prefer the Motion Pro tool, but many swear by the zip tie method. My eye sight is not good enough.
                    I did see that on the Basscliff site. Looks like a good, cheap way to do it but since the tool is supposedly on the way I will just wait it out. My friends bike is getting more lift time than I bargained for. I've already soniced the carbs, repaired & set the points to spec, replaced fuel line & cleaned the petcock. Guess couple more days can't hurt

Comment

Some people buy a thin shim and then use that to measure the clearance of each bucket to figure out what the exact value each replacement shim should be. That way, you don't buy the next size down and then pop it in and realize you need still more clearance. Even from the cheapest source, these run $6-$7 a pop.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Send an email to Steve and he will send you his valve adjustment worksheet. Make a couple of copies. Record current valve clearances, current shim thickness (use a mike or caliper to measure) record new shim thickness and new clearances. Once you see it, you will understand. It is very handy.

Comment

If the shim bucket will turn then you know that have some gap. One shim size down should bring it into spec.
                          I used to think that, too, but I just did an engine where the bucket spun, but it took THREE shim sizes to get it into spec.

Many times you can swap shims from one valve to another to get some into spec.
                          Before you do this, be aware that you should NOT turn the engine if ANY shim is missing. To swap shims, you need another shim or a "place holder" before you turn the engine. It is possible to use a coin for that job. Silver dollars and quarters work quite well and will not hurt the cam.

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                          I guess take each one out and record/measure and put back in and then proceed through them all.
                          Take a look in my sig, there is an offer for a free "tool" there that will help you with that.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          Originally posted by Scout View Post
                          Thanks, I'll look around and see if I can find it
                          Would you believe it's the Shim Club Thread in the GS Parts and Services forum?

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          No eye sight necessary to use the zip-tie method.

It can be done blindfolded.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Scout, The link to the club is in my signature. It explains how the club functions, etc. Your friend may want to join to avoid tying up a small fortune in shims. Ray
                            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Well the tool actually came in the mail yesterday and I got right to it. Not a fan of shims but it was a whole lot better than KZ750 we did in school where you have to remove the cams, overall impressed with Suzuki technology! Wrote them all down, used a dummy washer in place of a shim and did the shim shuffle. I have 3 within clearance now and need 5 shims. I am tasking my friend to obtain them now that we know what we need. Somewhere in the world all the larger suzuki shims must gather together to never be used again. I'm sure hoping this old girl is a runner

Comment

Working...
                              X