Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two destroyed exhaust valves [with pics] - replace valves or entire head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two destroyed exhaust valves [with pics] - replace valves or entire head?

Soooo...went ahead and took the valves out in preparation of some cleaning and lapping and realized that two of the exhaust valves are completely shot. I'm wondering if you all would recommend just buying two new valves or if replacing the head is easier/cheaper. I figure I will have to have the new valves and seats machined, so I'm trying to take that into account when making my decision. Any advice is appreciated.

First clean the carbon off the combustion chambers then re-post with the new pictures.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

That has to be the worst burnt valve I have ever seen
      If you get a new head you should have a valve job done anyway IMO. Find a couple used valves and lap them in.

Comment

As suggested, clean the carbon so we can see what's left.

The seats are remarkably durable, but not impervious, they might have survived.

If you find the seats in decent shape, I think I have a couple of valves that should work.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can I use this picture on the why you need to adjust your valves page?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The one that Steve had with the glowing red header was pretty bad.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wow those are the worst I have seen in a long time. What was the mileage on the head?

You could be lucky with the seats but it hard to tell without a bit of cleanup, as the others mention. As they are generally harder to wear out, I'd suspect you would just need a couple of valves, however. At worst a couple of seats too but certainly no need to replace the head unless its cracked or otherwise damaged .

Clean her up and let's see.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Wow those are the worst I have seen in a long time. What was the mileage on the head?

You could be lucky with the seats but it hard to tell without a bit of cleanup, as the others mention. As they are generally harder to wear out, I'd suspect you would just need a couple of valves, however. At worst a couple of seats too but certainly no need to replace the head unless its cracked or otherwise damaged .

Clean her up and let's see.
                Has nothing to do with miles, has everything to do with valve clearance adjustment.

The seats don't get as hot as the valves. They might be OK.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                This one?

Comment

That kind of $hit pis$es me off. Damn hacks ignoring basic maintenance. Good thing it's just the engine and not the wheels or something. Stupid previous owner would be dead now.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Can I use this picture on the why you need to adjust your valves page?
                    Go for it!

Comment

Any advice on the best way to clean her up for her second photo shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        I was going to post that, then I saw that Tom beat me to it.

Originally posted by TheDuke View Post
                        Any advice on the best way to clean her up for her second photo shoot?
                        Some of the pros might shuder, but I have used a wire brush in my drill.

Light pressure will take off the carbon, just don't push hard enough to take away any metal.

Don't have a picture handy of the head, but here is how the pistons ended up:

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[QUOTE=TheDuke;1949231]Soooo...went ahead and took the valves out in preparation of some cleaning and lapping

On the other hand, it'd look great with a side order of breaded mushrooms.
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Nah, sell it on Ebay, "Slight cosmetic damage"

Comment

Ebay is a little light on exhaust valves for the '79 750 at the moment. Anyone have any for sale???

Comment

Working...
                              X