engine revving really high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine revving really high

Hi guys. Newbie to the Suzuki world here.

I have a gsx1100 that I have bought as a surprise for my dad on his birthday but the guy before me had pretty much turned it into a rat.

Its now mostly back to standard guise and I'm happy with the way it looks but one thing is puzzling me.

When I bought the bike it rode fine and had no issues.

But now as soon as the engine starts the revs race as high as they can and I cannot work out why. I can't adjust anything whilst it is running as I pretty much need to shut off the ignition as soon as it fires up.

Most of what I altered was getting the stock fairing back to its original colouring and refitted and other minor cosmetic alterations. The only other things were a new front brake master cylinder (I had to wire the new switch in), changing the indicators back to stock, giving the bike a service, refitting the original handlebars and headlight and changing the battery. Other than that I haven't really altered much.

I'm at a loss where to look. The choke and throttle cable appear to be operating fully and smoothly and all electrics are working without issue as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any ideas where to look as my dad flys out here in a month and I have very little time between studying and working to troubleshoot blindly. Last thing I want to do is resort to a dealer and pay for something I'm sure I'll be able to fix myself if I have the time.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Sounds like something is preventing the throttles closing fully. Not sure about the layout on that bike but clutch cables can prevent throttles closing especially ones routed down between the intake boots. Some will have wire clips on the back of the head to keep the clutch cable away from the throttle sector.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 11-04-2013, 09:36 AM. Reason: took brain out of neutral - clutch cable not choke duh!
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

When you fitted other handlebars, maybe the throttle cable is now under tension. Check that there is enough slack in the cable. Also check that revs do not increase when turning handlebars to left or right, indicating that cable is too tight.
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
      X