Oily Spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oily Spark plugs

OK, so I took out my spark plugs and i noticed that theres black fluid on them, either burnt fuel or oil. Should i take off the cylinder head and check it out, or just clean off the spark plugs. I am already in the middle of replacing the shims because there was 0 clearance on all eight of my valves. Any help would be great.

Pierce

No, don't take it apart just yet. Finish up the valve adjustment, synch the carbs, new plugs, get the ignition working right, do all of the other routine stuff that hasn't been done in forever, and then ride it a while. Check the compression, ride it more and then decide if it needs work.

Black and shiny is usually oil, but there can be other reasons besides a shot engine. Black and dry is fuel.

Does the engine run now?

How is the compression?

What engine are you talking about?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      No, don't take it apart just yet. Finish up the valve adjustment, synch the carbs, new plugs, get the ignition working right, do all of the other routine stuff that hasn't been done in forever, and then ride it a while. Check the compression, ride it more and then decide if it needs work.

Black and shiny is usually oil, but there can be other reasons besides a shot engine. Black and dry is fuel.

Does the engine run now?

How is the compression?

What engine are you talking about?
      well it ran but it was hard to start, and usually in the amount of time it took to start the battery would die and i would have to use my charger/starter to get it to start up. Compression idk, and its an 1100 8 valve.

Comment

All makes sense for tight valves, should fire right up once the valves are correct. Hopefully you caught it in time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          All makes sense for tight valves, should fire right up once the valves are correct. Hopefully you caught it in time.
          whew, glad im on the right track. thanks ill keep it posted ive taken alot of pics, and the PO just butchered this bike with electrical and the frame.

Comment

I had oily plugs and it turned out to be a head gasket problem.
            Usually the plugs will look shiny very glossy.

Comment

Working...
            X