Chrome side/roll bar removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome side/roll bar removal

Hi all, first post here, so I apologize if this isn't in the correct section . . . .

I'm working on my first-ever bike rebuild, a '79 GS550, and I've never done anything like this before. It's sat since 1988, so most of the parts and pieces are pretty reluctant to move.

I'm trying to pull the engine, but am stuck on getting the side roll bars removed. The manual says to remove the two upper bolts (done), and then to pull the lower part of the bar away from the frame. I can't figure out how to get the bottom part of the bar off without reefing on it so hard that I end up knocking the bike over. I've tried prying it off using the little indentation, but again, I just feel like I'm going to knock the entire bike over. And the bar rotates just fine, BTW.

Any ideas???

Why are you pulling the engine? What other maintenance have you done first? If your crash bars are like mine, they are attached to a mounting point at the bottom of the engine.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I was planning on pulling the engine to give it a good cleaning, and because I'm not sure how to get the carbs out, but so many people have asked me "why" that I'm starting to second guess myself! I think what I might do is just work on getting the carbs out and leave the engine in. The rubber hoses leading from the carbs to the engine are as hard as rocks, so I'll probably just cut those off, which will make it easier to slide the carbs out.

Comment

Those rubber hoses are intake boots and cost around $100. or more to replace. Make sure they are junk before you cut them.
        It's been a long time since I did a 550 but I believe you have to loosen everything including the battery box in order to slide the airbox back far enough to get the carbs out. It is a wrestling match but persistence will prevail.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

$100! Problem is that the flange that is screwed into the engine has chipped off, so I doubt they're salvageable.

Comment

Originally posted by zippityz View Post
            $100!
            Motorcycles are expensive to maintain. Not maintaining them is more expensive.

The 550s are not that hard to remove the carbs. You do have to remove some stuff and then push the airbox back.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Trust me, once I get this back together it will be properly maintained. Last time it was registered was 1988 (not by me).....

Comment

How about some pictures?

Here's he one I got earlier this month.

Comment

Tom's right, disconnect the plastic portion of the rear fender and push out of the way then disconnect the airbox and pull back out of the way. Then loosen the front clamps

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Battery box too.

Comment

Interesting as I haven't had to do that with mine but the plenum side will hit the frame before the battery box; I will have to try it next time to see if it makes it easier
                      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 11-30-2013, 10:45 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                      X