Is this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this right?

Been rebuilding my 82 650 shafty and when I turn the output shaft it kind hangs up its not super hard to turn and its not grinding or anything like that it just feels like your pushing against a spring and you get past a point and it springs in to place. Is this normal?

here is a video

I don't know the answer, but I wanted to compliment you on your TARDIS.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by jdmfreak1992 View Post
      Been rebuilding my 82 650 shafty and when I turn the output shaft it kind hangs up its not super hard to turn and its not grinding or anything like that it just feels like your pushing against a spring and you get past a point and it springs in to place. Is this normal?
      I have my 83 GS650G swing arm removed and gave the shaft a few turns like you did and mine is free turning, no binding or springy feel like your video seems to show.. no varying resistance.. smooth turning throughout..

One of these is not like the other.. I am not experienced enough with these Suzuki to know which is right or what the issue might be.. except that my other shaft bikes (Yamahas) also feel like the GS when turning the shaft like this.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Stiff UJ on the shaft?
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

That's strange mine doesn't bind up like that

Comment

Damn guess I'm splitting the case again I had to really fight it to get it together hopefully I didn't screw something up.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
              I don't know the answer, but I wanted to compliment you on your TARDIS.
              Haha thanks its a piggy bank too gf got it for me when we were in London lol were booth hooviens

Comment

Originally posted by jdmfreak1992 View Post
                Damn guess I'm splitting the case again I had to really fight it to get it together hopefully I didn't screw something up.
                If it is a stiff joint, it isn't a case split job, its the swing arm, but a shaft drive man will know more and chip in soon.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Best to pull housing (mark existing orientation)- check for bad teeth,- reinstall, rotating it 90 degrees to see if you get better action (try 180 and 270 too). The springiness you feel is likely from shock absorber spring that "drives" the bevel gear on trans output shaft. I imagine you'll have to loosen a few case bolts to extract gear housing
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok feel like a real idiot now hopefully I didn't screw up and of the trans bearings I split the case and noticed there were two alinement tabs I didn't line up just right that fit into a slot and I didn't have them lined up so it got pushed into the aluminum when i cranked down on the case to toqure. it all spins freely and is not binding anymore and I don't feel any extra weird play or a any thing like that what do you guys think? I will post pictures tmw of the slight damage to the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X