well THAT was easy, engine removal GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a fun and successful evening and wanted to share, perhaps it might someone else in doing the same.. I'm sure there are many who have done this numerous times and probably a lot easier than I did.. but still, time to share..

Though I've experience a bunch of head scartchers while working on my bike project, I did manage to remove the engine from the frame in such an easy way, I wish I had done it like this before on my 1100 VStar (laying frame on ground)

I needed to pull the engine to get the frame de-rusted and gain access to tackle broken bolts etc on the engine. Though the valves were ajusted, the compression test proved awesome and starter cranked the engine over, I still hadn't fired up the engine (yes, I did hear the echoes from leanred members to get the engine running first but couldn't due to other issues not related to the engine itself etc)

My initial intention was to lay the bike down and pull the frame off the engine like I did in the past, but then I'd have to figure out how to get the engine off the ground and onto a stand.. the dang thing is brutally heavy!

But after seeing an engine removal video clip on how to slide the engine sideways, I thought I'd give that a try and wow, once the bolts were removed and raised the engine, it only took a few minutes to slide the engine down onto the lift support.

I placed a small enough sized plywood board between the underside of the engine and van scissor jack to raise the engine Has to be small enough to raise past the lower parts of the bike frame). On a typical motorcycle hoist I place a sheet of plywood as a base to support the engine and placed that to the right of the frame, raised just high enough to slide the engine sideway onto it..

I had pre-loosened the attachement bolts and hardware before raising the engine.. As I started removing the various bolts, all of them came out by hand by gentle raising and lowering of the van jack and tilting the engine this way and that way.. they came out super easy.. no effort at all, though many of them were rusty as heck..

Years of helicopter maintaince installing rotor heads and main gearboxes came to use in raising the engine a little bit at a time, checking clearances, balance and angle, using wood shims to keep the engine sitting properly to clear the front of the frame etc. Getting the jack under the centre of the engine helped a lot as well.

I taped a cross piece of wood across the front of the frame uprights in case the engine rotated forward as I inched it up with the van jack. With the breather cover off the valve cover, I was able to raise the engine as high as possible and shimmy another short piece of plywood under the right side of the engine and down onto the bike lift. Luckily the bike lift locks were at the right height for this task (wouldn't want the weight of the engine to sag the lift down for the next part..). If the safety locks were not so agreeable, I would have place another jack under the lift for safety support.

With the bolts removed and the engine raised high, I tilted the engine to the right and the engine gently slid down the small ramp like plywood until the engine sat on the bike lift sheet of plywood.. wow, now THAT was simple, little to no force or effort required to wrestle or muscle the engine over this and that tab etc. All I need to do now is strap it down to the bike lift for safety.

The video I had seen showed an older gentleman reefing on the engine trying to get to go from the bike to the lift platform.. he looked to have been struggling with it, heaving and shoving and banging it along the mounts and frame.. My engine was clear of obstacles and moved ever so gently and easy...

Below are images of the set up.. Needless to say, I know it won't be all that simple or easy to put the engine back in the frame but I'll have a couple of buddies to help with that to help avoid banging the crap out of the newly painted frame.

Anyone know the approximate weight of a GS650G engine?

Cheers

Checkout the full domain details of Eastcoastphotos.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Checkout the full domain details of Eastcoastphotos.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Originally posted by Seaking View Post
    Here ya go.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks lol..

Comment

thanks for the tips

Comment

Working...
        X