82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    These have been in Safety Clean off/on for 4 days...8hrs per. Lookin' so much better than when I removed em'.

Ed
    No kidding, very clean indeed.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Finally Painted Brake Parts

I've let these components sit in Safety Kleen for a good 32hrs last week; today they finally got painted. I'm expecting more parts to put it all together this week--maybe in time for Saturday (I won't do any work on Super Bowl Sunday--GO BRONCOS!)

The weather has been somewhat cold but no snow. It will be worth the wait to see how the new clutch cable and single braided front brake will work for me.

I've investigated the Gear Shift Seal and don't see too much oil coming out of it as I suspected. It may be that I have to change the oil pan gasket.

I've got plenty to do in the future but taking things one step at a time.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-28-2014, 01:05 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

You must have meant "Go Sea Hawks"
        Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Man once you get started on something...
          Hondas
          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
          Suzuki
          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
          Kaw
          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
            You must have meant "Go Sea Hawks"
            I'm a RAIDERS fan (we use to play you guys twice a year when they were in the AFC West) but I like Peyton...he's got a great Father.

The way I see it, experience trumps...most of the time. Secondly, weather is going to be a factor. Yeah, the Seahawks play in the rain/cold but not with snow/chill factor. I'm not saying they can't play in it...they just don't do it as often as Denver.

Good luck to both teams!

Originally posted by yasser View Post
            Man once you get started on something...
            I'm tryna stay on top of things and learning along the way. My next job is to tackle the oil pan gasket...which involves removing the pipes!

Thanks for reading my documented story.

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-28-2014, 06:15 PM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

[

I'm tryna stay on top of things and learning along the way. My next job is to tackle the oil pan gasket...which involves removing the pipes!

Ed[/QUOTE]

Ed, while you have the oil pan off, I would install a steel threaded insert into the oil drain hole. Why, cuz one of these days those sorry aluminum threads will strip out and you'll have to pull the pan again (the self tapping drain plugs are only a band aid fix, they'll eventually will strip out as well, mine did hence the steel insert) Make sure the insert is flush with the bottom of the pan area and cut two slots flush down to the inside the bottom of the pan where the oil can completely drain. Get a drain plug that fits the insert along with a copper crush washer and you'll be set. No worries of EVER stripping those original threads. Also might what to consider doing this as well. While the pan is off you might as well shim the oil relief valve to give yourself a bit more oil flow to the head. I just saw a thread on this yesterday though I can't seem to find it now. AHHA, found the thread lol. Here it is. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...t=relief+valve
              Last edited by mrbill5491; 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thread Insert

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Ed, while you have the oil pan off, I would install a steel threaded insert into the oil drain hole. Why, cuz one of these days those sorry aluminum threads will strip out and you'll have to pull the pan again (the self tapping drain plugs are only a band aid fix, they'll eventually will strip out as well, mine did hence the steel insert) Make sure the insert is flush with the bottom of the pan area and cut two slots flush down to the inside the bottom of the pan where the oil can completely drain. Get a drain plug that fits the insert along with a copper crush washer and you'll be set. No worries of EVER stripping those original threads. Also might what to consider doing this as well. While the pan is off you might as well shim the oil relief valve to give yourself a bit more oil flow to the head. I just saw a thread on this yesterday though I can't seem to find it now. AHHA, found the thread lol. Here it is. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...t=relief+valve
                Thanks Bill. If I decide to do this before I leave NM, I'll let you know. I'm looking forward to putting the caliper/MC/bracket and even the handles back together because I painted them all.

It will be quite evident what I've been working on when I take pics of the completed brake job.

I've done a valve adjustment, clutch breakdown, and now a front brake teardown. This is fun...I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

It is kind of fun working on a bike then being able to ride your own work !
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Glad that you're enjoying it. Ive always considered maintenance a means to an end -riding-, so I dont enjoy it as much as some, but in recent years i have slowed down and enjoyed the process more then in the past. My goal when working on the cycle is a safe and good running machine. Looks and cleanliness are second priority.......
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Bike Work

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      Glad that you're enjoying it. Ive always considered maintenance a means to an end -riding-, so I dont enjoy it as much as some, but in recent years i have slowed down and enjoyed the process more then in the past. My goal when working on the cycle is a safe and good running machine. Looks and cleanliness are second priority.......
                      I hear ya DB. I've been waiting on parts and have access to a dipping solvent container where all my brake parts have been sitting in. In the evenings, I kick back and wire brush everything...then dip again. Did it for 4 days and the parts are really KLEEN!

Since I'm spraying the handles, I took the brackets off too and will paint everything I removed. I don't care about cosmetics either...I have an "L" seat and an offline rear fender but everything is functional. You'll definitely see the difference...I'll post pics of my completed BRAKE rebuild with a single braided front line.

Thanks for stopping by with your feedback.

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Clean Parts

I've painted most of the brake parts...I finally removed the other brackets and will paint them soon. You can see the left bracket & the other half of the MC bracket on the bottom left need some attention:

My parts from BlvdSuzuki are due today; I'm getting excited!

Ed
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM.
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Dang bill how hard are you tightening those plugs? You must be going Super gorilla on those to be talking about those stripping like that lol. Always used 2 fingers to tighten them plugs and never had any issue
                          Originally posted by tkent02
                          That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
                          John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
                            Dang bill how hard are you tightening those plugs? You must be going Super gorilla on those to be talking about those stripping like that lol. Always used 2 fingers to tighten them plugs and never had any issue
                            Being the threads what they are, they will eventually strip. I tightened to what the book said maybe a tad less knowing the metal. Sh*t happens lol.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

I'm the first/only owner of a 2003 Honda Pilot and the metal is about the same...somewhat soft. I don't torque the bolt but since I've done all the oil changes, I know how much to turn it without stripping the threads. I would think it's the same principle on this bike and I've done one oil change so far. (The shop did the first)

Good info provided Bill...thanks again.

Ed

EDIT: Reading through my Clymer's owner manual, I'm going to have to soak the inner parts in brake fluid 15 minutes before installing. This will make it pliable to install...trust me, I was tryna put the piston in both the MC and the Caliper and was met with a little resistance. This is going to be fun!
                              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-01-2014, 01:09 AM.
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Caliper

Here's what I spent part of my Saturday working on; why did I bother painting the caliper? The Dot 3 brake fluid removed the paint...oh well.

I painted the remaining brackets...spent about 30 minutes setting up the tape.

The Caliper bracket kept it's nice color:

Fun times compressing the piston--I ended up removing it and re-installing the piston after dipping it in Dot 3 and it dropped into the chamber. I didn't need the C-clamp.

I gotta compress this and put a snap ring on it...the seal isn't cooperating.

It all started with this first seal:

Ed
                                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM.
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X