Tensioner decided to start rattling 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tensioner decided to start rattling 1150

Probably should have listened to Ray to buy a manual cam chain tensioner.

The bike sounded extra noisy on start up on the 24th. Tried rotating the knob clockwise on the tensioner and the sound would go away. So what to do about it? I just had it apart recently to change the seals, ridden it about 350 miles and now it starts to rattle. Tried tightening the 10mm nut on the the knob, that didn't work.

Used the search function and reread Bwringers tutorial. Didn't find anything on how to cure the rattle. With the bike off, I turned the knob counter clockwise all the way and the return felt weak, so I thought maybe I didn't wind the spring enough, even though it worked for all those miles. I tried the outermost windings closest to the knob. I could not wind any more without binding so I tried the inner winding. Got another revolution there, but the tricky part was getting the end through the hole with carbs still on and not losing tension on the windings. It seemed to solve the rattling. I also loosened the lock pin 1/8 of a turn and retighten the lock nut, just in case the pin was binding on the plunger. All seems well now.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

get a manual tensioner

Comment

Sometimes if the threads on the adjuster rod has a lot of crud in them, the jam nut will turn the rod back in as you tighten it too. I always lay a rag down and rinse it well with carb spray when doing any adjustments.

The adjuster pin doesnt add any tension..it just keeps side to side slop to a very minimum as the tensioner road moves in and out and does its thing..
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I still have brand new tensioners. Ray.

Comment

About 114.00 new if you want to go that route. http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/OEMpa...001/5602440012

Comment

Sounds like you didn't wind the spring tight enough. Common mistake. I'd set the engine at 1-4 T and pull the tensioner back off, then make sure you add another turn of tension to the spring preload. Buying a new tensioner is a waste of money, and a manual tensioner is not necessary unless you are running the engine really hard (in which case, I'd definitely go manual).

Edit: reread the original post and it seems you solved the problem by winding the spring more. Not sure how you could do that properly with the tensioner on the engine though. At any rate, the cam chain shouldn't rattle under normal usage if the spring is properly tensioned.
            Last edited by Nessism; 12-28-2013, 12:43 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Sounds like you didn't wind the spring tight enough. Common mistake. I'd set the engine at 1-4 T and pull the tensioner back off, then make sure you add another turn of tension to the spring preload. Buying a new tensioner is a waste of money, and a manual tensioner is not necessary unless you are running the engine really hard (in which case, I'd definitely go manual).
              I figure Carter revs it a bit when he goes to the track

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I figure Carter revs it a bit when he goes to the track
                Looking forward to doing more track days, (10 so far on the kat) but now you have me worried. I used my wife's stock 1150 engine hard at the track with no issues. Mine too with no issues.

How does one go about setting tension on a manual one? Do you have to take the cam cover off and observe the slack?
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

There you go! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X