Stiff clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff clutch

I have just put a different engine in my GS650GT and the clutch is very stiff, the cable and lever were fine with my old engine, so, I was thinking that the fresh engine has 'up-rated' clutch springs, the clutch works and I have done about 100miles since installing the engine. Could I just swap the springs from my old engine? if so would putting the bike on its side stand be sufficient or do I need to drain some oil? could it be anything else, the cable and lever are fine.
    Cheers.

Is the orientation of clutch actuating arm about the same on new engine as on old one?? mine likes to be "toed" inward about 15 degrees in released spot with about 1/8 inch of play here.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Could be aftermarket springs. Probably is. You could use the old springs, or spend a few bucks on new stock springs. 650G have robust clutches, the old springs might be OK for a while. There is certinly no need for stronger ones than the stockers. You don't need to drain the oil, sitting on the sidestand is tilted enough. I few drops will drip, not too bad.

The clutch basket could be worn too, but that's probably not too likely on a 650G engine.

On my 650 the arm liked to be at a ninety degree angle to the cable when it was just starting to actuate the clutch.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I was hoping that putting the bike on its side stand was enough, just changed the oil. I will swap the springs over tomorrow and go from there, I will probably order some new ones but I need to make sure its the springs first. Could you post a pic of the clutch arm position please, just for reference.

Cheers

Comment

I can't, I sold the bike. It was 90 to the cable, not the case seam or anything.

Comment

You could also have routed the cable poorly, got a kink in it or too many tight bends. Easy enough to do if you went the wrong way around some carburetor or something.

Comment

yes to checking cable routing along tank and thru carbs. The "anchor" point for cable lies under carbs so clutch arm seems to like being angled- see pic in attached link.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I removed the arm and the tried the clutch lever and it was free with no binding. The clutch cable routes under the tank and then down between carb 1&2 intakes with slow bends etc. I have swapped the springs over with my old engine and have put it back together, just having a spot of lunch and then I well go out for a ride as the sun is out and its a barmy 5deg. The arm on photo looks exactly the same position as mine, thanks Tom.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by UK-GT View Post
                  I removed the arm and the tried the clutch lever and it was free with no binding. The clutch cable routes under the tank and then down between carb 1&2 intakes with slow bends etc. I have swapped the springs over with my old engine and have put it back together, just having a spot of lunch and then I well go out for a ride as the sun is out and its a barmy 5deg. The arm on photo looks exactly the same position as mine, thanks Tom.

Thanks everyone.
                  That position of that little arm is critical. Looking at a photo gives you a fair idea of position, but not exact.

If its position is changed by more than a few degrees, in either direction, it causes the cable to bind and the friction can be considerable.

You know the cable itself is free, but after an engine rebuild/replacement, it is very important to get the angle correct on your bike
                  "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                  Winston Churchill

Comment

My cable runs along left frame tube and comes down between carbs 2 and 3 airbox boots. BUT I don't know if this is stock/correct position -it works well for my old small hand though.
                    Last edited by tom203; 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM. Reason: typo
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Well I swapped the springs over and it fixed the problem, only to highlight another one, the clutch slips!
                      Reading between the lines the clutch was probably slipping with the previous owner so he bought some HD springs instead of new clutch plates as they are cheaper.
                      Anyway, I fitted the plates from my old engine and it no longer slips and I do not need to be built like Rambo to pull the lever in!!
                      All in all a result with zero cost

Comment

Working...
                      X