Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project 81 GS750 exhaust cam damage

Hey all,

Upon removing the valve cover from my project 81 GS750L I was disappointed to discover that the exhaust cam is pitted and worn and has to be replaced.

In searching the forums here it seems that I need to replace the cam and the rockers. Anyone know where I can find a matched set, or what other options I have?

I can get a cam from eBay easily enough but what about the rockers? Can I have the current ones machined at a shop and run them with a used cam? Or just drop in the used cam and hope for the best?

Thanks!

JT

You have to replace the cam & all 4 exhaust rockers. The split pads on the 750 exhaust cams are notorious for this problem. You need to use 1100 solid pad rockers. Also, the pads on the stock Suzuki rockers are hard chromed so you can't grind them. Call me at 714--356-7845 if you have more questions. I have good cams & rockers. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by JTNWEVO View Post
      Hey all,

Upon removing the valve cover from my project 81 GS750L I was disappointed to discover that the exhaust cam is pitted and worn and has to be replaced.

In searching the forums here it seems that I need to replace the cam and the rockers. Anyone know where I can find a matched set, or what other options I have?

I can get a cam from eBay easily enough but what about the rockers? Can I have the current ones machined at a shop and run them with a used cam? Or just drop in the used cam and hope for the best?

Thanks!

JT
      Wonder what oil the PO (or how often he changed the oil) was using in that bike. My 80 750 has 55,000 on it and the cam and rockers are just fine.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

BTW the 16V Exhaust cam on the GS750E/L is the same part number as the GS1100E 80-82; just need to swap out the cam gears.

Comment

Working...
        X