Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS650GL Recessed Fork Caps - How to Remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GL Recessed Fork Caps - How to Remove?

All,

I'm in the middle of the restoration of a GS650GL that was sitting in a garage since 1993.

I need to disassemble and rebuild the front forks, but I've never seen a fork cap like this before. No screw-on cap! What the heck? The cap is recessed and is supposed to have a snap ring holding it in.

Manual says to push in (down) on the recessed cap (which they call a spring stopper) and remove the snap ring.

Heck, I don't even see a snap ring on top of the cap/stopper that is holding it in place!

Here's picture of the top caps on the forks.

As you can see, they were a bit crusty so I have them soaking in PB Blaster right now trying to loosen up the crud to ease disassembly.

So, my question is:

Has anybody else removed this kind of recessed fork cap. If so, how best to do it. What did you use to push down on the cap with that also allows room to get at this supposed snap ring. Also, why don't I even see a snap ring on top of the cap holding it in place? Plus, just how hard to you have to push down to overcome the spring pressure and actually move the cap down a bit?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated. I need to get these things apart.

Thanks!

There is a snap ring under all that rust

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      There is a snap ring under all that rust
      I know my pic with the PB Blaster goop in there kind of obscures the view. Sorry about that.

However, I've actually been under all of that and poked around with the sharp edge of a pick to see if I could catch it on anything with no luck.

If there is a snap ring in there above the cap it must be extremely thin.

Is there perhaps a small open gap in the snap ring at some point around the ID that I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Comment

You need to press the cap down in order to reveal the wire ring....I found it easiest to use a shop press...unless you have a strong third hand.

This is what the ring looks like:
        Last edited by Thumper88; 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM.
        1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
        1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Part #27 here: http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/OEMpa...001/5602750037

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper88 View Post
            You need to press the cap down in order to reveal the wire ring....I found it easiest to use a shop press...unless you have a strong third hand.
            Yikes! A shop press? Don't have one.

Can this even be done by hand?

Perhaps put a socket in the top of the fork, put a 12" length of metal bar across the top of that socket and press down with both hands on that bar. Would that be enough force to do it?

Of course you'd need a helper to pick out the snap ring at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by WingMan71 View Post
              Yikes! A shop press? Don't have one.

Can this even be done by hand?

Perhaps put a socket in the top of the fork, put a 12" length of metal bar across the top of that socket and press down with both hands on that bar. Would that be enough force to do it?

Of course you'd need a helper to pick out the snap ring at that point.
              I'm sure it's doable with a helper...it doesn't require too much force...just a constant force while picking the clip out.
              1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
              1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

If you have a vice you can clamp the forks in it's a one man job. Make some sort of jaw covers so you don't damage the fork tubes, then you use a socket and extension to push the cap down while you use your other hand to pick the ring out.

Comment

If you only got two hands, use a welding vicegrip like picture. one jaw can hook under upper triple tree while other pushes down on cap (and holds down) so you can pick snap ring out. wear safety googles!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. I finally see the snap rings around the ID of the fork caps.

I think I'll actually put the forks back in the triple tree temporarily to hold them so I can push down on the cap and get the snap rings out.

Thanks again!

Comment

Well... got the snap rings out.

Thought I'd post up my clever little method for holding down the recessed caps so you can pick out the snap rings.

I didn't want to clamp my fork tubes in a vice, soft jaws or not, so the best and safest place to hold them is back in the triple trees. Here's what I did:

I got a deep socket just a bit smaller than the ID of the tubes and used it to push the recessed caps down. Then I wedged the socket under the handlebar and held it securely there with some cable ties.

After that, it was easy to pick out the snap rings, even as rusty as they were.

New snap rings on order, along with some o-rings, and new slider bushings, etc. Everything cleaned up and waiting for parts to arrive to rebuild the forks.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by WingMan71 View Post
                        Well... got the snap rings out.

Thought I'd post up my clever little method for holding down the recessed caps so you can pick out the snap rings.

I didn't want to clamp my fork tubes in a vice, soft jaws or not, so the best and safest place to hold them is back in the triple trees. Here's what I did:

I got a deep socket just a bit smaller than the ID of the tubes and used it to push the recessed caps down. Then I wedged the socket under the handlebar and held it securely there with some cable ties.

After that, it was easy to pick out the snap rings, even as rusty as they were.

New snap rings on order, along with some o-rings, and new slider bushings, etc. Everything cleaned up and waiting for parts to arrive to rebuild the forks.

Thanks again!
                        Genius!!
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

holy cow thank you. in the middle of my rebuild right now. had a friend and I try to press it down while the other tried picking it out but its a stubborn "son of a fudge" as the bike has sat for a very long time. will try this in the morning. thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                          X