Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this look right? Hole in the top end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this look right? Hole in the top end.

So I am currently cleaning and then painting the engine, and while cleaning I noticed 4 holes that look like something has eating through the metal. If you look at the attached picture it shows one hole, the 2nd is on the opposite wall. The other side of the engine is like this as well. I know very little about engines, but is this normal?

Any chance you can turn on the flash on the camera or at least hold a candle nearby?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's another picture. It looks as if the metal has been eaten away and there's a total of 4 holes that go all the way threw to whatever is under the cover.

Comment

At first glance they look like casting flaws in the head. Any oil leaking and how's the compression. Any chance of some netter photos?

Comment

Yeah, looks like casting imperfections to my untrained eye. At any rate, if they're not leaking oil, then they don't go all the way through the head and it'll be fine forever.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

It´s are water drain & air holes. Those holes allows a small amount of air flow through the cylinder head and when the bike is on the side stand the rain/washing water drains away.

Comment

Originally posted by Blower View Post
              It´s are water drain & air holes. Those holes allows a small amount of air flow through the cylinder head and when the bike is on the side stand the rain/washing water drains away.
              If this is true, (I have no idea), I think I would try to clean them out. Shouldn't take much effort. Maybe spray carb cleaner with the long tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Blower View Post
                That's the nice rectangular holes that create passages to the front and rear. I believe the hole in question is the irregularly-shaped thing in the corner. It definitely looks to me like a casting defect. I agree with others that if it's not leaking oil or combustion gasses, it's not a problem.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Ok, good. That's what it looks like to me since every hole is shaped a little different. As far as I can tell there has been no leaking. Thanks guys

Comment

You also have a problem with a cracked cam cover bolt hole !

Comment

I think the crack is just a line in the injection moulding. Hard to say from the picture

Comment

Could the holes/pits? be the result of spark voltage leaking or having leaked from the plug wire to the engine case, especially on a first start up in damp weather?

Comment

No .

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

it's normal, keep cleaning
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                            X