GS1100 '80 Cam Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 '80 Cam Chain

While I have the cam cover off again, (have checked valve clearances and all is O.K.) I'm wondering if there is any way to check the cam chain. It feels tight and adjusts up O.K. It doesn't seem to have any excessive noise at idle (from what I can hear over the rattling clutch). Should I pull out the cam shafts and see how much sideways movement there is? If it was easy, I would just replace it, but unless it comes with some kind of joining link, welding or riveting will be beyond me.

If you look at a SUZUKI manual it will give a specific pin count and length limit for acceptable or non acceptable stretch. To change it you will need to split the cases as the GOOD chains are one piece continuous. Ray.

Comment

O.K. So I looked up the good book and it says that the 20 pin length should be 157.80mm. The only digital calliper I have maxes out at about 130mm so I measured the 10 pin length as near as I could which was 78.55mm (just under the 78.90mm that I calculated to be the max for 10 pins). So when you work it all out the 20 pin length is about 0.90mm shorter than the service limit. Does anybody know what a new chain would measure up to? Just trying to figure out how far down the way this chain is.

Comment

Here is a brand new chain next to a worn out one.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X