Clutch install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch install

Hey guys I'm new here and new to bikes as of 2 years ago. My bike is a 1982 gs1100e. I'm putting a clutch kit in and there is that piano wire holding the last plate in. How important is that wire? So I replace it or toss it

I hear some drag bike folks say it's unnecessary, but if using on the street why not just reuse the wire with a new steel plate? I've reused them before and was able to get the crisscross ends to look like they did before I touched it. A new one couldn't be more than a few bucks.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

hi there,,i also have just bought an 84 gs 1150 , and was checking the clutch condition when i noticed i couldnt pull the last steel out. ive taken the stopper ring , or piano wire out, and have heard from jim olive on the vintage jap web page, its gotta go back in. im at a loss how it goes back in...Help please anyone.???

Comment

Jeffvo, don't want hijack thread, but it's just a matter of putting one end tang in the hole and clicking the wire into the groove around the circumference, so the other end of wire tang ends up in same hole with a crisscross pattern. A small flat head screwdriver on the ridges of the inner hub will help persuade into the groove if it's resisting.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

It is NOT required! I have never put one back in in all the 30 + years I have been working on them. Ray.

Comment

Clutches are straight forward, not sure what's going on there.

Comment

ok thanks ray! experience is king

Comment

Mine is loooong gone
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

When you are putting it back together, it will make it easier for you if you put a little grease on the 2 parts that go in behind the first steel plate you install, the step washer & conical washer. That will hold them in place & keep them from moving when you are re-installing the clutch plates. Hope this helps, Ray.

Comment

I Already had put it together and then decided maybe i should make sure it isn't important. i have been working on car dealerships for 9 years now and 7 of them i was a tech. a lot of cars from the factory use these type of things for the assembly line. thanks for all the help!

Comment

I am checking the clutch on my 850 because it drags especially when cold, inspected the plates, ordered new springs. I still have the wire in mine. If I remove it, will it help with the drag???

Comment

According to what everyone has been saying it seems that if anything when cold that piano right will help, but i dont think it will help you to take it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1100e82 View Post
                            According to what everyone has been saying it seems that if anything when cold that piano right will help, but i dont think it will help you to take it out.
                            Out will reduce spinning mass.

Comment

The piano wire was designed to help disengage the clutch when cold and it does work. I left it out when I replaced my clutch and I did notice the difference. When I did my engine overhaul I reinstalled and found it to be smoother when cold.

I didn't have any luck reusing the original, those things get deformed upon removal and it makes it a PIA to get em back on there, I went with a new part.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X