Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What parts would you keep from a parts engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What parts would you keep from a parts engine?

I need to get rid of my parts bike engine that is taking up way too much space in the garage.

I am going to disassemble it to part it out, but I want to save anything that might come in handy later. What do you recommend holding on to?

I already pulled the stator and starter. Cams? Pistons? What else?

pretty much all of it. you never know when you might need any of the parts, either for you or a mate, or a fellow member.
    side covers,transmission,clutch,ignition,crank,crankcas es,block,head (complete) are all worth keeping if you can find the space.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

A disassembled engine takes about 12 times as much shelf space as a complete one.

Every part on the whole thing may be needed by someone at some time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The secondary reduction gears have value. The 1100G's use the same part and they are known to fail. If your clutch drags, making finding neutral difficult, keep the assembly. The plates in your current clutch may be slightly warped. If the engine is low mileage keeping the top end might be a good idea, although you are unlikely to ever "need" it.

I parted an 1000G engine and wound up throwing 90% of it in the trash. Couldn't give the parts away.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ideally I would keep the whole thing and only tear into it if I need something, but I barely have room for the bike and a box of spare parts from outside the engine let alone another whole big, bulky complete engine. And yes, the parts take up more room if they are disassembled, but the idea is to get rid of the bulky stuff and keep only what there might be a decent chance of needing in the future. Hell, I would tear the whole thing down and try my hand at rebuilding it but the engine I have in the bike now is low mileage and in good shape and I don't have the money or the space to tackle a rebuild project right now.

So essentially the value in this thing is keeping the whole thing just in case- it isn't worth much as parts and it isn't worth much as a whole engine? I haven't tried selling the engine whole but I would assume that would be a pretty tough sale since it is shaft drive and only fits a couple of models.

Comment

Originally posted by BluePlateSpecial View Post

So essentially the value in this thing is keeping the whole thing just in case- it isn't worth much as parts and it isn't worth much as a whole engine? I haven't tried selling the engine whole but I would assume that would be a pretty tough sale since it is shaft drive and only fits a couple of models.

When I see old suzuki whole engines on the Fl craigslist (usually Tampa or Orlando), they usually are in the $50 to $150 price range. The ads stay up forever though, so I have my doubts they are selling well, even at those prices. I have a spare 750 and 1100 engine that I listed for free to anyone that would come get them. I still have them.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              When I see old suzuki whole engines on the Fl craigslist (usually Tampa or Orlando), they usually are in the $50 to $150 price range. The ads stay up forever though, so I have my doubts they are selling well, even at those prices. I have a spare 750 and 1100 engine that I listed for free to anyone that would come get them. I still have them.
              That pretty much confirms what I suspected.

This thing is taking up way too much space to sit here on the off chance I need something down the line. I think I will go ahead and tear it apart, get rid of the really bulky stuff and try to find a spot for whatever I can find a little room for.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BluePlateSpecial View Post
                That pretty much confirms what I suspected.

This thing is taking up way too much space to sit here on the off chance I need something down the line. I think I will go ahead and tear it apart, get rid of the really bulky stuff and try to find a spot for whatever I can find a little room for.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
                ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hi guys on a parts engine ,,,,i,d keep the whole lot,,, you can always strip it to use different parts,,,regards oldgrumpy

Comment

If the head is fantastic, leave it together.

Otherwise, just keep the shims and tranny parts.

Maybe the jugs (not the pistons, youll want bigger ones anyway.)
                  Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                  X