in the dark again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the dark again

hello gents, had the gs750e running great after all the carb setting figured out.Remember! the fuel metering screws were finally set at 1/2 turns out and spark plugs looked good,,everything just great. well riding back from bike night Thursday last week the bike started missing,like on only 3 cyclinders . got home and the next morning I did a compresson check 90 on all, which is low .anyway #3 plug was wet with gas,like not firing. checked that and is great (new dyna ing.) so now im thinking something in the valves? there is no smoke at all ,thinking rings? so no smoke ,carbs (I cleaned completely). great spark ,low comp. Would something in the valve area cause low comp? the bike was going really good. I just had the paint hok come the other day for a paint job and now ,,,,I guess that will have to wait. so Steve if you might have an idea ,get back. thank you ps I mean I can just touch the starter button an the bike is running. maybe timing? just aint a real mech.

Start with the simple things, #3 has the vacuum line to the petcock, a failed diaphragm will put a lot of fuel down that line into the #3 cylinder.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What year is the bike ? Could have a bad petcock....

Comment

Did you have the throttle open when doing the compression test? If not then 90psi is expected.

Sounds like gas is your problem. Could be petcock but could also be a stuck float.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

First,hello tkent02, you offered ideas last time around. if I didn't thank you then well, thank you. you know the peacock isn't the best. I will look at that tomorrow morning. thanks gtgs850gl,why didn't I do that? should have remembered.again I will do comp. check tomorrow morning. and sqdancerlynn1 the bike is a 1979gs750e. thanks everybody. tomorrow is another day,Captrise

Comment

Working...
          X