82 1100EZ crank issues :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100EZ crank issues :(

SO, in the midst of electrical upgrades...R/R & stator. I am the 2nd owner of the bike, just over 80K on the engine. Lots of progress today, feeling really good about things until I decided to pull the rotor to check the condition of the starter clutch & upgrade the bolts...

I thought the rotor bolt seemed to come off a bit too easily, but nothing else seemed amiss.

Then, I get the rotor removed to find this:

My apologies for the crappy cell phone pics....

I am completely deflated...

Can a machinist repair this (i.e. weld material over the damaged area and turn it back down to spec?)
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
    SO, in the midst of electrical upgrades...R/R & stator. I am the 2nd owner of the bike, just over 80K on the engine. Lots of progress today, feeling really good about things until I decided to pull the rotor to check the condition of the starter clutch & upgrade the bolts...

I thought the rotor bolt seemed to come off a bit too easily, but nothing else seemed amiss.

Then, I get the rotor removed to find this:

My apologies for the crappy cell phone pics....

I am completely deflated...

Can a machinist repair this (i.e. weld material over the damaged area and turn it back down to spec?)
    Use red locktite when you put it back on and don't worry about it.

Comment

Any gouges? If not use it with red loctite.
      I've seen worse.
      I just tried to do a starter clutch on an 83 crank and the guy spun the rotor so long it ruined the taper to the point the rotor pushed up against the clutch. I have to replace that whole crank.
      I really think you are ok though.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Coming from you two, I feel a little better...but those really are bad pics. will take some with my proper camera tomorrow and post them up.

Would appreciate your opinion again with the better photos.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Here are a couple more photos...

Thanks again for your advice, Gentlemen.
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

When my starter clutch spun on my '81 1100E a couple of years ago, the shaft looked similar to yours - couple of gouges with raised metal edge.

I carefully filed down the edges/high spots & cleaned up the taper area with some 800 grit paper, re-installed with red loctite and it hasn't been a problem since.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Wouldn't the bearing and stud version Loctite be more appropriate than the general purpose red type? I used that stuff on some wheel bearings that were loose in the hub (as as temporary measure) but it's held so well I've never fixed the bike properly yet.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Wouldn't the bearing and stud version Loctite be more appropriate than the general purpose red type? I used that stuff on some wheel bearings that were loose in the hub (as as temporary measure) but it's held so well I've never fixed the bike properly yet.
                  I'm not familiar with that flavor Loctite, but if it's desiged to fill in low spots then yeah I agree...

I guess either way, I would not be pulling the crank based on what I see.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                    I'm not familiar with that flavor Loctite
                    Its green. Very permanent.

When mine did that I used lapping compound and alot of elbow grease. My starter clutch was just as bad as my shaft. The lapping compound really smoothed out both surfaces nicely. I just went back and forth for about 1/2 hr (2 beers) with the clutch on the shaft, Sprayed / wiped it down with a whole can of brake cleaner, re-assembled it and hit the nut with green loctite and an impact gun. Done. Took about an hour.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys

I ordered new parts for the starter clutch just because ($30.00 for new springs, pins and rollers) and I'm going to get a set of 12.9 grade bolts to replace the stock starter clutch bolts & Loctite them when I reassemble things. The crank bolt will get Loctite treatment as well.

OH...MR Cycles in Asheville NC is a great place for OEM parts...cheapest I have found so far

www.mrcycles.com is their OEM parts website.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

I've been dealing with mrcycles for about ten years.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

file high spots, then use valve lapping paste till u get the best surface you can, then slap it all together with loctite

Comment

That is the plan!
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                            X